User error....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

User error....

Post by RichardW »

#-o

Sporadic ABS light for a while, and Lexia fingered the OSR, the one that got mauled when I had the arm out earlier in the year. Found out why tonight... (Exhaust has gone again, so had to bodge a clamp on it - rear flange on main pipe has gone, so made a couple of 'straps' for each side of the joint and shoved them on with Jubilees - not gas tight, but it stops it clanking on the cross bar - still have parts of Mandrake's exhaust, so think that will donate a new flange. Out with the MIG!) Back to the ABS - when I put the arm back in, I got the ABS wire on the wrong side of the brake pipe. No bother I thought, but in fact it has hung out, and been rubbing on the wheel - has gone through the shielding, which probably explains the light coming on, touching the wheel and earthing the cable giving an odd reading. Have taped it up and tie wrapped it to the arm so hopefully the light will stay off now! Gregg1100 has supplied a replacement sensor, hopefully I can put it off till the spring.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: User error....

Post by Peter.N. »

You can make quite an effective ABS lead repair by cutting it, tidying up the ends and finding a section of soft plastic tube which will slide over the wire reasonably snugly, solder the ends of the wire together then slide the plastic over the join and clamp both ends with cable ties - works a treat. You can also re route the lead while you are at it.

Peter
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: User error....

Post by Mandrake »

If it was me I'd use heat-shrinked soldered joints to make a water proof permanent repair.

One large piece of heat shrink the right size for the outer sheath, two small pieces of heat shrink the right diameter to slide over the inner wires - cut, strip, solder the inners, slip the heat shrink over them and shrink them, then shrink the large shrink over the whole lot - as long as its not at a point where its expected to bend back and forth it should last the remainder of the cars life.

By the way I'm amazed that you're still finding salvageable pieces off my old exhaust Richard :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A lot of ABS sensor wires seem to be nearly un-solderable alloy.