Dispatch 1.9 Glow plug circuit issues!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulw79

Dispatch 1.9 Glow plug circuit issues!

Post by Paulw79 »

My Dispatch has basically got no Glow plug function at all, following probably poor advice we have replaced the Glow Relay, followed by the double ignition relay neither of which made any difference, I have new Glow Plugs as this was my first idea to change - however have not fitted them as it appears to be a bit of a access issue.

It starts ok after a few turns, but with the cold weather coming its far from ideal. Once hot its fine, its only done 50k and is a 2005 so it seems daft to write it off just yet.

At no point does the glow plug light light up, so any ideas what this could be, or is it as simple as changing the plugs? I cannot see a separate fuse for the glow circuit - surely there is one? Online I can see no reference to it except a listing for a 50amp fuse that isn't in the fuse box?

An help greatfully received!

Paul
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Dispatch 1.9 Glow plug circuit issues!

Post by jgra1 »

hi Paul, you could see if you can get a multimeter onto any of the plugs and batteru earth or similar.. should be 10/11V for some time, after ignition on..
if there is voltage, and if it starts after a few turns, it's more likely one or 2 have gone..

if no voltage then yes fuses next...
John
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be a faulty ignition switch or the wiring from it.

Peter
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

is there a click from the heater unit that controls the glow plus or any clcik once ignition turned on
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
Paulw79

Post by Paulw79 »

Thank you for the quick replies... Where is the Fuse located should it be that, I at least want to check it.

I THINK there is a click, however will need to check either way for sure - whats the diagnosis either way, click or no click?!

thanks for the help!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Don't know on the dispatch, or other modern Citroens, but on the TD Xantia, there's no fuse on the glowplugs feed. They draw about 80 amps max (total figure), and this reduces to maybe 60 amps as the glowplugs heat up, which would be quite a large fuse.

As you mention a relay, which I assume controls the circuit operating the relay, then it's possible this is has a fuse

The glowplugs light on the dash not lighting up could just be a failed bulb. As John says, stick a meter across from glowplugs feed, to earth, to check there's voltage getting there on first starting.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing you can do is to take the plugs out and test them. The important thing to remember is that (if they work) the plugs will get very hot, very quickly, and the glow should be at the tip (if the plug glows in the middle it is still faulty). I suggested this to somebody with a Peugeot that wouldn't start, and he found 3 plugs had failed. He replaced all 4, and the problem went away.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =4&t=43066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Paulw79

Post by Paulw79 »

Thanks for the replies again, brilliant forum.

There is voltage for a few seconds or so at the first easy to access glow plug so I can assume the rest is now working ok - will replace the Glow plugs when I get a chance, doesn't look the friendliest of jobs as access is a little tight.

The Heater blower decided to pack up today aswell - I've simply wired it directly to a switched feed for now, whichj works fine, I know its a common issue so I'll look at other threads to remedy that one properly!
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

sounds like u know what ur doing mate ;)
as for the plugs 1 nearest cam belt is a challenge...just find all ur tools and take ur time :)
im sure someone will give u a proper method soon as i cant remember how i removed it
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is this a DW8 or XUD engine ? The DW8 engine is very common for shutting the glowplug relay off if one of the plugs has shorted. It must have some kind of internal circuit breaker ?