DPF Removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

DPF Removal

Post by RichardW »

Now to be an MOT failure.... DOT Press Release

Not sure how they will check - if internals removed then it will look superficially OK, but a finger in the tail pipe will reveal all.
Richard W
Northern_Mike

Re: DPF Removal

Post by Northern_Mike »

There's going to be a lot of cheap C5 2.2s around. .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

I wonder if we will see companies moving from the 'FAP removal and re-mapping' business into the 'FAP re-fitting' business?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Bob L'eponge wrote:I wonder if we will see companies moving from the 'FAP removal and re-mapping' business into the 'FAP re-fitting' business?
Most will not have the skills for that, I would say they are busted, VOSA will of been after them and their trade for some time I bet.

Now, who is up for a good hard Re-FAPping
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The term will be DPF repair services ;). The hollow sound from a tapped DPF will be the only way it can fail, so new "heat shields will need to be made, don't worry, there will be plenty of ways around it.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Maybe I would think differently if I owned a diesel and was faced with an expensive DPF replacement, but I've always felt that removing a DPF is a bit of a selfish and short sighted activity - save money but to hell with the environment or peoples health. :? Maybe it wasn't against the letter of the law until now, but it was certainly against the spirit of the law.

The particulate soot from a non DPF diesel is a particularly noxious pollutant IMHO especially for those with conditions like asthma, and it makes me cringe when I see someone foot down in an old diesel with clouds of soot coming out the tail pipe. [-X

Modern injection petrol engines with 3 way CAT's have exhaust emissions when running correctly that are so clean and free of HC and CO that you could almost breathe them without fear of consequences, a far cry from the CATless carbureted petrol engines of a few decades ago which could kill you from CO poisoning in under an hour of idling in an enclosed garage...

I hate the replacement price of a CAT but I for one am glad of the improvement in air quality that mandatory CAT's and testing of them provides, and its about time that diesels were held to the same standard of emissions performance as petrols...

I shall now don my flame resistant suit and retreat to a safe vantage point :-D
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

If the DPF has been removed completely and a non DPF exhaust section added I wonder how the MOT tester is going to tell if the car originally had a DPF ?

Maybe by going off the VIN number...that's some data base to keep...the dealers sometimes don't know if the car has a DPF from the VIN...

Cheers
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Year of manufacture most likely as legislation requires the fitment of various bits and bobs from a certain date.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

myglaren wrote:Year of manufacture most likely as legislation requires the fitment of various bits and bobs from a certain date.
I don't think it's that simple.

Some cars of the same model, year & engine type have them while others don't.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Mandrake wrote:Maybe I would think differently if I owned a diesel and was faced with an expensive DPF replacement, but I've always felt that removing a DPF is a bit of a selfish and short sighted activity - save money but to hell with the environment or peoples health...The particulate soot from a non DPF diesel is a particularly noxious pollutant IMHO especially for those with conditions like asthma, and it makes me cringe when I see someone foot down in an old diesel with clouds of soot coming out the tail pipe...

I shall now don my flame resistant suit and retreat to a safe vantage point :-D
No flaming from me, I fully agree with you. One of the main reasons I bought my current 'X7' C5 was the FAP system it is fitted with. I only wish that we could currently afford to replace my wife's non FAP equipped car with something more up to date: the amount of rubbish that it produces is astonishing compared to my car, and if started up in a garage will have you immediately gasping for air. And this for a car that sails in under the legal limits for emissions!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you had to do any repairs or maintinence on the DPF system yet on your X7 C5 ?
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

My own mistake I bought C5 R with FAP, however I only do short journeys most of the time, so Regularly goes into limp mode. I thrash down the local bypass in limp in 4th that tends to sort it out.
I was going to remove it but I suppose now I had better not, I could really do without re-fitting it and reloading original MAP.

All ums and arrs.

David
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

It's all very well driving around with a DPF & and an imaginary halo over your head, simple facts of the matter are that they do not work in this country, with our traffic conditions and flippant vehicle use.
How much pollution and fossil fuel usage do you think is caused by people having to "blast it down a dual carriageway", just to keep the car working, or garages doing forced regeneration so to "clear" the dpf.
Personally I think diesels are dead if the emissions regulations are to get much tougher.
All this "green " legislation is total bull$hit anyway! there are plenty of worse pollutants than the cars driving around Europe, guess it's ok so long as the sky above us is ok.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

guess it's ok so long as the sky above us is ok
That sky with, increasingly, white lines being made across it....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Lighty wrote:It's all very well driving around with a DPF & and an imaginary halo over your head, simple facts of the matter are that they do not work in this country, with our traffic conditions and flippant vehicle use.
How much pollution and fossil fuel usage do you think is caused by people having to "blast it down a dual carriageway", just to keep the car working, or garages doing forced regeneration so to "clear" the dpf.
Personally I think diesels are dead if the emissions regulations are to get much tougher.
All this "green " legislation is total bull$hit anyway! there are plenty of worse pollutants than the cars driving around Europe, guess it's ok so long as the sky above us is ok.
Couldn't agree with all that more. If you have ever done a forced regen on a car you will know how bad this is, you can practically see the fuel gauge dropping as it does it, all the emissions you have prevented in the last thousand miles has just gone out the window when you either have to force a regen or blast it down the motorway.