Xantia clutch death???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: Xantia clutch death???

Post by Timmo »

evening Chaps! have been busy batteling against the car past few days but am happy to report that its all back together now with New arm bushes ball joints and lower engine mount, just the exhaust sealing ring to go!

when working on it i noticed that the lower gearbox bolt had worked itself loose and come out, i'd hazzard a guess as to that being what clonked under the car on the way back when it started playing up?? Anyway, i have fashioned one up with some threaded rod and a couple of nuts, as i didnt have anything else that fitted,
Now, on putting everything back together and a short test ride around the block the vibration in 3rd/4th seems to have stopped, i am going to run it down the coast road over the next couple of days to check But! is it possible that the box had worked loose dropping the lower bolt being at an odd angle and thus causing the nasty vibration?? Or! is it that due to it being sat for a couple of weeks not used the bearings have stopped making noises??
i am kinda hoping that the first is the case and i dont need a replacement box,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Re: Xantia clutch death???

Post by flying clutchman »

If the bottom bellhousing bolt has dropped out then that would perfectly explain the vibration, particularly if it was the back one. There are normally only 4 bolts holding the engine and box togetherand the bottom back one is the most important. Looks like you saved yourself a few ££s.