Xantia clutch death???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Xantia clutch death???

Post by Timmo »

Morning peeps,
the ol Veg burner has had the worn juddery clutch issue since we've had it (3 years), recently started slipping if you try and quickly change gear, last night on the return from my daughters swimming lesson it started to Vibrate the Entire car when travelling along, - 30mph tops,
is this as i suspect immanent Clutch death??
time to lay it up and deal with a few issue's on it before the MOt in Jan??
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Xantia clutch death???

Post by jgra1 »

Timmo, the clutch must be bad for that to happen... unless its something else>?..

you could try for an MOT 30 days before the retest date, maybe see what else is an issue with car, then lay up and do everything?
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Its been okay, But! The wife used it on thje weekend and she has a terrible habbit of lazy driving and holds the car on thje clutch on every hill! I told her Not to in the xant but I doubt she listened! It was certainly a Lot more juddery when I used it after she had on the weekend! :-O
The jobs I have to do are mainly from last years advisories! ;-) am going to spin it round and pop it on ramps oin a bit on the drive and have a look, kinda felt how id imagine it would If the gearbox mount had dropped? But put it down to knackered clutchness!

'58 C2 Code
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Sorry to hear of the imminent demise of your clutch. On the bright side, a new clutch kit for a TD is not cripplingly expensive. Had to do the VSX a few years ago and then Valeo kits were about £100, sometimes as low as £50.
Labour charges are not so favourable though if you have to pay someone else to do the job.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

thanks Paul, one of the dads at school who am friendly with is a mechanic who does my welding for me, he's already lined up for it, he quoted me 100 to do the job, despite me saying Are you sure, its a Pig of a job Many times! ;-)

I've just been for a quick spin up the road, First and second Seem to feel okay, but into 3rd it starts to Shake, and 4th is Bad, clutch pedal bite changes position when it has a shaky moment too! :-O you can also feel backing up the drive is Just about holding on! is Nothing obvious underneath looking broken on the outside, but will bung it up on ramps over the weekend and tackle some of the jobs i have for it! at least then it'll feel all lovely again when its back together!!

'58 C2 Code
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

weird that it does it only in some gears..

I am wondering about diffs and gearboxes Timmo.. probably the clutch release bearing has gone west too.. a combination of some / all of the above..

anyway, 100 is nice price :P

may be worth having a spare gearbox lined up, get one cheap on ebay...lowish mileage , also grab a valeo clutch as Paul says, for £50.. and 2litres of the right oil.. driveshaft seals etc etc

John
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

If i could find a valeo clutch for 50 i'd be chuffed to bits!! ive got in my watching an 'Genuine' clutch - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-GEN ... 5ae47205e5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or a Borg and beck clutch - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3pc-Clutch-Ki ... 4857026f2b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although a little confusing as it has £54 up the top and £81. in the description??

Mother has kindly offered to pay for it top be done for Christmas, so its more a case of getting parts!

'58 C2 Code
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

For something like a clutch it's not worth getting anything less than Valeo.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

You'll need to be pretty friendly with your mechanic for him to do it for £100 Timmo, the book time for the job is about 6.5 hours. Most places around here charge £350 labour, having said that, 2 herberts did mine in a morning. Unfortunately, the juddering, which I'd told them was the reason I wanted it changed, was worse if anything than before.
After much discussion with the owner it was agreed to do the job again and this time on inspecting all carefully the flywheel was found to be pitted and needed a skim. After this it was much better but never 100%right. Replacement flywheels were cheap and I did get one but when it turned up it was the wrong one hence getting the original skimmed.
Around that time I did cost up a replacement gearbox as well and they were available from about £60 up to £150. For a laugh I checked out the cost from Citroen--£1600
Best of luck with it, and have a very close look at the flywheel.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Haha! Yeah I made sure he knew was a terrible job! Lol, but he's a Sound chap, we've had a good bit of welding done through him, quite a few of the other parents use him too, his boys in my eldests year at school, and my eldest looks after his lil sis too! Always have a good chat with him or his wife, and normally tip him with a bottle or 2 of red! ;-) not that he would take it last time! Haha! Had to sneak that in via his wifes bag! :-D

'58 C2 Code
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as John/ jgra1 says
it dosent sound like just the clutch but gear box fault as well, if it were just the clutch causing the vibration it would be in all gears,

i would source a known good box to fit whilst its in bits
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Joy! Thanks guys, cog box's are thin on the ground down here, the local citroen, renault peugeot pace stocks nothing for them now! Will do a bit of digging around see if I can find one! Are they just std be3 box's or are they different ration over petrol be3's??

'58 C2 Code
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

cant be sure its he box Timmo. but a vibe only in certain gears sounds like its got issues..

find someone breaking a TD 306 / Xara / xant / etc.. on ebay..
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Have managed to chat to Both my 'I don't really wanna do it job mechanic' and my citro mad welsh friend with in the space of half an hour this evening quite coincidentally, both have said sounds like the bok has dropped a bearing on 3rd-4th, so will be on the hunt for a box, when I have some money! :-( Mot's in Jan too, so may be time to have a good poke around and see whats likely to come up and look to see if its justifyable to repair it all, only cost us 450 3 years ago, so with the box of bits I have to go on (bottom arm bushes, ball joints, engine mount, exhaust sealing ring, drop links) and the clutch job and now a replacement box its going to be looking 350 before the mot in jan!

Tricky though as to replace it would cost 500+, and could quite possibly run into much the same with a new car, and once its done its done,
Time to grab a bottle of mulled rattler cider and forget about it for a mo! ;-) :-D

'58 C2 Code
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

timmo I have thrown away TD boxes before I am sure of that :)
get one for 50 squids, if possible try to make sure its quite low mileage as 3rd syncro is a pain on most older ones.
or buy a td engine with a box on it , take box off and see if you can sell engine (tricky but?)