Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad/caliper rattle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham1701d

Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad/caliper rattle

Post by graham1701d »

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on here. Just to warn you all I am not very good at explaining myself in writing so bear with me. I have a Citroen Xantia HDi 110bhp. If I try and drive normally in fourth at 30mph (under 1500rpm) I get quite a nasty rumble, vibration, rattle, noise on the NSF. I have done a bit of research on this and I am fairly confident it is because of rattling brake pads which seems to be not unknown. From what I have read Citroen released a technical bulletin about this issue and made available a repair kit. Part number: 444971. It is some sort of anti rattle shim kit. I have been to Citroen this morning and told me this is no longer available. So my question is this. Short of buying a new caliper is there anything I can try? New brake pads perhaps? Genuine ones maybe? Do some brake pad manufacturers supply this kit with the pads or a replacement? This problem is driving me mad as I have to keep the engine speed above 1500rpm otherwise I get this noise. I will be grateful of any advice you Xantia owners/mechanics can suggest. Thanks.

Regards Graham
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Citroen Xantia HDi brake pad/caliper rattle

Post by citroenxm »

HDi 110 Xantia use the Larger Bosch Brakes, and the pads have a "Curly" anti rattle spring built into the Pad backing...

However, they can come astray, but the spring is located at the TOP side of each pad on each side of the disk. It can come away, but useually during fitting, is a ham fister has fitted the pads.

HDI 90 use the smaller pads and calipers from the XUD TD days, and these have an anti rattle spring fitted in the FRONT of the caliper and can also be forgotton.

Air you SURE its not one of the anti roll bar Link Rods? They are a more common rattle item that can be very loud!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

99% sure its not anything else. It is more related to engine speed than anything else. The noise goes away if I take up the slack with the hand brake which makes me think it is related to the brake pad anti rattle issue that Citroen created this extra "repair kit" for that is no longer available. I believe it is something to do with the slider pins wearing and allowing the brake pad carrier to move about more than it should. I have found vague details about this on various forums on the internet but nothing detailed.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Oh wow.. Never heard of it, Ive got a 2.0 HDi 110 with 263k on the clock, and no rattle issues. Ive never modified the calipers, and no reason why the previous owners would of..

Interesting.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I would check the calipers are operating properly and fit new pads if so.

Similar problem in the front-handbraked Saab 900s I used to own. Pads would move about, especially when going backwards and make a fair din.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The front left calliper on my V6 has the dreaded rattle on broken surfaces too - but only intermittently.

In fact thinking about it I haven't heard it for a couple of months (perhaps ambient temperature related ?) but when it does it its very annoying, so I'm a bit dismayed to hear that the add-on anti rattle shims are now NFP from Citroen as I was planning to order a pair. :(

Interesting to read about a built in anti-rattle spring that could have fallen out of the pad backing though ? So replacement front pads might cure the rattle as long as the replacements include the built in spring ? Do all brands of pad have this spring ?

I have to confess I've never had the front pads out of this car - they have plenty of thickness left and work perfectly so I've seen no reason to touch them, (too busy doing other jobs on the car!) and they're a different design and size to the callipers on my 2.0i which I was more familiar with...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

Yes I was quite annoyed when they were NFP as there was no explanation or advice on what to do from Citroen. I have ordered some new front pads and discs whcih I will change regardless. Then if it still does it I will have to order a caliper. I am glad someone else is aware of this problem and Im not the only one. Could do with someone who has fitted this kit and knows what it actually does.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Some pics here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=42381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be possible to fabricate some from SS plate or similar? IIRC they were fearsomely expensive for what they are (like £50 or so....!) Could ask at the factors if anything is listed? I've not really had this problem on my car - it used to grumble at low speeds, but this was improved after the cambelt was changed, then it came back after 30k or so, but has been much better since I blanked off the EGR solenoid!
Richard W
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

Thank you for finding that thread! I knew they were expensive but I was willing to pay for them if they shut the noise up. Definately cheaper than a new caliper. I have hunted round the internet and cannot find any aftermarket reference to this spring clips. Thanks.

Regards Graham
graham1701d

Post by graham1701d »

I believe Citroen still list the sliding pin kit. Which I believe is this http://vkubos.sweb.cz/P1060894.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Do you think that if it has new pins this could also stop the rattling? Seeing as the rattle plate kit is no longer available? Thanks.