Changing indicator stalk- Saxo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Changing indicator stalk- Saxo

Post by isisalar »

Hi guys.
Tried to change stalk on the Saxo today, removed cowling ok, unscrewed two small torq head retaining screws, slid out unit to find it won't go past the instrument binnacle. It would seem that the holder needs to be detached from the metal part, and I can see 3 torq head screws that need to come out to enable it to turn. As far as I can see it's not possible to get to these screws without removing the steering wheel. Have spotted 2 further torq heads on the back of the wheel but I thought I'd better stop there and ask for a bit of advice. Don't want to set off the airbag and write the car off.
So if anyone can help please:-
Does the wheel need to come off?
What is the procedure for removing and re fitting the wheel?
Will a Lexia session be needed after?
Busy few days with the cars, full service on the Xantia today, and weather permitting one on the Saxo tomorrow.
First time I've changed a pollen filter, but it was inspected and found ok a year ago, absolutely FILTHY when changed today, worse than the air filter. Airflow is now much better too.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Changing indicator stalk- Saxo

Post by wheeler »

Can't remember off hand if the steering wheel needs to come of or not but does the steering column adjust ? Sometimes pulling this fully down can give enough clearance to get it out.
If you need to remove the steering wheel & airbag switch off the ignition & then disconnect the battery for two minutes (ten minutes if the airbag fault warning is on). Undo the two T-30 screws on the back of the steering wheel then the airbag can be removed, just unplug the bag & put it somewhere safe. Make sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position then undo the big bolt in the centre (T-50 if I remember right). The wheel will normally be stuck on the splines, I find thumping the wheel at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions alternatively with the palm of your hands a few times releases it. You won't need the Lexia to reset anything when you are done.
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Just to add, when removing the steering wheel, leave the bolt /nut in a few turns when thumping/loosening the wheel. Otherwise when it does let go a bloody nose can be had ;)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks guys, that's all very helpful
I'll give it a go in the morning. Is it a hex nut on the column or is a big torq key needed?
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

wheeler wrote: Make sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position then undo the big bolt in the centre (T-50 if I remember right).
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks Wheeler, couldn't visualise a bolt using a torq key somehow. Like an allen key one I suppose. DOH!
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Thanks for all your help guys, mission accomplished this afternoon, I'd never have got there without your input especially Wheeler, finished off by torchlight. What a performance to get a horn working! In the event after removing the screws visible, having got the wheel off, it still wouldn't move and there were 3 further screws that could only be accessed by moving what I assume was the horn ring in various directions, this accomplished it was fairly easy to get the new stalk in position, but getting the 3 hidden screws back in was right pain. Eventually with the aid of a few small pieces of blue tac to hold the screws on the driver, got them in. Was a bit worried about the amount of strain being put on the electrical connections, especially the air bag one, when re assembling, not much slack in the loom is there? All well in the end , no lights on and everything seems to be working fine.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Roamer
New User
My Cars: Citroen Saxo

Post by Roamer »

Hi
One simple way of avoiding removing the steering column and air bag, is when the cowling is removed, saw off with a fret saw
(if you do not mind doing this) most of the top of the box that the indicator switch sits in.
The top is not really required as the 2 screws, bottom and side still hold the switch securely in position.
With most of the top sawed off, the switch lifts out quite easily.
The same applies to the wiper switch on the opposite side. I have replaced both by this method.

Roamer
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A bit of a bodge job and a bit drastic - probably not what most would do when there is a perfectly proper way of doing the job.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc