xantia heated seats

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

xantia heated seats

Post by allanmc »

I asked this question in the summer but didn't get any joy, so as the weather is getting very cold I will try again, I fitted leather seats to my series 2 Xantia and everything works except the seat heaters the guy I bought them from assured me that the heaters worked and I believe him, I know there is a relay in the system, not sure what value it should be, is there any way to put power to the heaters if so how would I do it, also I read somewhere on the forum where someone just wired them to a separate switch cant find it, if you can help with this problem that would be great
regards
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: xantia heated seats

Post by VertVega »

Most probably the problem is due to broken resistance wire of seat heater.
Last edited by VertVega on 27 Nov 2013, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Solution is to remove the seat cover(s) or leather and some soldering work.
Both seat part and back part have heating mat which are electrically in one circuit.
Last edited by VertVega on 27 Nov 2013, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

unsure if this helps me as I said I was told that the heaters worked so I am looking for more information about the relay and how to test the car wiring to the seats
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Alan, going into the seats there should be a few plugs. One of which will be for the electric movement (if seats are electric) the other will be for the side airbags (if fitted!) and the other is likely to be the plug for the heated seats.

The airbag one is a small orange one if there, the electrics for the seats and the heater plug I'm not sure which is which, unplug one and see if the seats still move, if so you've undone the heater plug, if not, you've undone the electric movement plug.

The heated seats plug is likely to be a 2 pin plug, stick your probes for a multimeter in there and turn the seat heaters on, you should then see 12v at the plug. If you've got power there and the heaters don't work you know it's the element in the seat, if you've not got power there then the next step is to repeat the process back at the switch and see if there's power getting to the switch.

If you've got power at the two switches in front of the gear lever then it either points to a fault with the wiring going to the seats or with the elements in the seats.

Relay wise I'm not sure what's in the circuit with the electric seats. There's nothing in the owners handbook that covers it unfortunately.

Maybe one of the others with access to the wiring diagrams will be able to shed more light on it.

Regards

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Sorry your still having issues Allan :(

They did test ok before i removed and i made sure of it as i know how many leathers are out there without working heaters due to the above mentioned break occuring.
If neither seat is heating up then the first thing to do is see if you can apply a low voltage directly to the heated pins on the plug and see if the seat heats up.

Also testing as David suggested could be better as a first port of call as its easier to test.

Generally speaking the drivers seat fails to heat and the passenger one carries on going due to less usage compared to the drivers of course so less stretch and compression of the heating wires.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi Allan,

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your PM, I decided to post the wiring diagrams you asked for here rather than by PM as the more eyes looking at the diagram the better the chance of figuring it out... :) so here they are...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... 203303.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/782 ... 203303.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The relay you were referring to in your PM is 8308 which the above diagram shows to be beside the drivers foot well fuse panel.

By the way in Sedre there is no distinction between SX and Exclusive when selecting wiring diagrams, which leads me to believe that the wiring harness is the SAME for both spec levels - the only difference might be the relay or control module is not fitted.

Hope this helps. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Thats CORRECT Simon, Mk.2 SX models ALREADY have the plugs etc harness for electric and heated seats. From what I could see when I fitted leather to an X reg SX the plugs were there for the motors power, and under the odments tray the plugs were there for the heated seat switch's..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Hi Simon, thanks for the diagrams I am sure they will help to let me know if the heaters are working
allan