C5 Hydractive3 front suspension low

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

C5 Hydractive3 front suspension low

Post by osx »

Not sure if it's me but do you think the front suspension is too low? Had the car serviced a couple of months ago and I feel that the suspension is a bit more firm that it used to be.

C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Re: C5 Hydractive3 front suspension low

Post by osx »

Drove a friends C5 and it felt different. Not sure what to make of it.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I think mine sits a fraction lower at the front. Difficult to say. Looks OK to me.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

Don't just feel the suspension ... measure it ... :) ... and compare the arch wheel height from the pavement with someone whose car seems OK to you to make sure whether any difference exists ...
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

There is a difference of 1.5cm.
osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

qprdude wrote:I think mine sits a fraction lower at the front. Difficult to say. Looks OK to me.
Does the underside of the car look parallel to the road, mine is def not parallel.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Slightly lower at the front, but who's to say that's not the design. Plenty cars sit lower at the front. C class Merc springs to mind (no pun intended)
Rick.

osx
(Donor 2022)
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

How can you tell if the spheres are not doing their job?
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'm guessing the same way as with regular suspension ... you can lean on the car bonnet side (front bumber), and release it, and see how the return force is being dampened ... if it's not doing it "normally", then you could say sth is wrong ... But, from my experince driving hydractive cars my dad had, you would immediately sense any malfunction in the drives, because it wouldn't be as comfortable as it should (sailing on the air ... :D ) ...
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Have to say, there must be a scientific/engineering way of checking.
This pushing on the bonnet/boot depends entirely on the person doing the pushing surely? My missus couldn't push the suspension more than a couple of inches. Wildly inaccurate, and a test to see if there is any recoil means there is some sort of suspension, but not a great deal more.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I never said that you'll get scientific results with mechanical pushing of the car, did I? ... :D ... You're right in that it depends on the person pushing ... I came to know several people, pro mechanics, who over the years gathered enough experience to test suspensions this way (mostly classical suspension), and I'm talking about the first check, of course they afterwards confirm this with equipment ... how they manage to do it, or rather, how can they be so sure about the feedback feeling they get from the car, is beyond me ... but I'm also certain that any issues with the hydractive suspension should (in case something is off, like starting position lower than normal) be very apparent during the drives ...

... although, I've witnessed just a few days ago a woman driving a car with the blown tyre (which came apart, and she continued on the rim ... so much for apparency), doing 50 mph, not being aware of the situation ... go figure ... :D
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

vborovic, I wasn't questioning your post , just suggesting that there must be a proper way of checking that everything is working as it should. I have been doing the "press test" on suspension for 40 years, but I thought osx was looking for a definitive check where any anomaly could be found and sorted.
I was going to add, that my front suspension gives a bit of a bang if I go too fast over a "Traffic calming Bump" on the road. The rear never makes a sound. I've often wondered if something is not as it should be, but after changing from a superstiff Saab, it's difficult to be sure.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

@ osx - Back on track ... if you lower/lift the car several times even ... when you return it to normal, does it stop at the current level that seems problematic to you?
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Just had a look on X7's for sale on Autotrader to check the photographs, and they all seem to sit slightly lower at the front, so it is either normal, or most of them have suspension faults. :shock: :lol:
Rick.

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

qprdude wrote:Have to say, there must be a scientific/engineering way of checking.
Yep, pressure test the sphere, just like older Citroens.

Of course that means removing the sphere from the car and attaching it to a pressure tester (which can be home made) but its 100% scientific :wink:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive