Can the Diagbox 'Faults Journal' be cleared?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bob L'eponge

Can the Diagbox 'Faults Journal' be cleared?

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi all,

When checking my X7 C5, 1.6 Hdi (2009) a lot of faults come up in the 'Faults Journal' option in Diagbox. Almost all of these relate to things like temporary 'coherence faults' relating to the parking sensors (caused by the sensors icing up in the winter) or a loose number plate bulb. No faults come up if a diagnostic session is run, so there are no faults to be cleared via that menu. I would like to clear out all these inconsequential fault entries in the Faults Journal, but have not been able to find a way to do this. Anyone know how, or if this can be done at all?

Cheers!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That log is resident in the BSI; with Lexia you clear it that way.
Bob L'eponge

Re: Can the Diagbox 'Faults Journal' be cleared?

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi addo,

How exactly do you clear this log?

This is what I have been able to work out so far:

The 'Faults Journal' or 'Faults Log' seems to be maintained independently of the faults stored in the various ECUs. It contains all generated faults, including temporary ones that are not shown at all if you access an ECU (including the BSI itself) directly via the Diagnosis, Repair or Maintenance options. It also contains faults relating to every ECU on the vehicle and it also retains those fault records even if the relevant fault code has been cleared from an ECU.

This log is available via the small drop-down menu in the top left hand corner of the Diagbox screen but this menu only allows the codes to be viewed, not erased.

The log can also be accessed via the 'Expert' section of the diagnostic and repair options. In this case the way the results are viewed can be changed (for example, it is possible to set a filter so that no faults are displayed that happened between zero and 100,000 km) but the faults are still stored and will once again be displayed if the filters are re-set.

As you say, this log appears to be stored in the BSI itself. Thing is, I haven't found any way to re-set it, rather than just filter the results. I did click on the 'Configure BSI' option in Diagbox under the Repair - BSI menu to see if what options came up, but this simply brought up a screen saying the application could not access the (I presume Actia) server, which my version of Diagbox cannot do.

I wonder if it would be erased if the BSI was reset? I also wonder if doing this would be a wise thing to do, even if it did work!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I don't believe a BSI "reset" will affect it.

On Lexia it's a separate item to the BSI, simply described as a fault log; the first click takes you to a message along the lines of "Faults present and log full".

You read the log, as you say all manner of faults are there, they can usually be sorted by frequency of appearance or chronology. There should also be another option coming up for erasing the log. Not yet running Diagbox, I don't know how it may be linguistically couched.
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Are you sure you can clear it? Mine is chock full of oil pressure faults from when I had a duff sensor, making finding other faults in the log a tedious task, pretty sure I looked for an erase option and couldn't find one. But maybe at the time I was mostly looking to clear the oil pressure ones rather than clearing them all. Would be handy if I could start from scratch though :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Ben82 wrote:Are you sure you can clear it?
No, I'm not sure, but I would appreciate a confirmation, one way or another. :)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

in order to cancel journal faults using a lexia you must read the faults one by one first, the lexia will not let you just cancel faults without you reading them. I went round in circles for a while figuring this one out myself.my C5 mk2 has been sitting for 6 months and with a low battery voltage had developed a mind of its own and faults i had never seen before, a brand new battery and the lexia solved all the issues. whether or not you repair a diagnosed fault it seems that the ECU still remembers the fault until you clear it with the Lexia. read each fault first then remove it , then once they are cleared do a Global Diagnostic to see if the faults return again. make sure you charge the car battery for at least 24 hours before you plug in the lexia. low voltage on the car battery seems to play havoc with diagnostics on the lexia. hot weather battery failure is quite common these days so if your vechicle is parked up for any length of time consider using a battery conditioning charger.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Err this was 8 years ago.....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc