Wheels, tyres and speedo readings...........

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickandsej
My Cars:

Wheels, tyres and speedo readings...........

Post by mickandsej »

I have a '94 ZX avantage 1.9D on 13" wheels. The tyres are approaching the end of their life and I am considering switching to OE 14"s. There is obviously an appreciable difference in size, hence speedo accuracy, can anyone tell me if a 14"-car-based (ie Volcane, etc) instrument pack will correct this, or if the final drive ratios are different altogether? Any offers of fairly priced alloys/tyres invited from around the Reading area.[?]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Look in the links section at tyresave, there is a tyre size calculator on that site, type in your current wheel and tyre size to find its diameter, then type in the sizes of some suitable 14" replacements, altering the width and/or profile to keep within a percent or two of the original diameter.
Don't fit tyres that are wider than any OEM sizes fitted by Citroen on ZX wheels for the ZX range and keep within or even exceed the speed and load ratings for your car.
Dave
mickandsej
My Cars:

Post by mickandsej »

I am only considering a swap of sizes for aesthetic purposes - which is why I want to keep to OE wheels and tyre sizes. I don't intend to put low profiles on for the sake of maintaining speedo accuracy, I'd stay at 13"s if there was no other way of keeping within tolerances. I am aware however that even a change with OE rims can affect drive quality - I owned a Jetta on factory fitted 14"s - and when I was loaned a Golf on OE 13"s I couldn't believe how much better it was!