Xantia S2 Tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Xantia S2 Tyres

Post by Old-Guy »

Woody260 wrote:.... If anyone hears or knows of someone breaking an HDi Estate, could do with one or two other bits too ! Cheers Gent's
Doesn't need to be an HDi Estate. Lots of the heavier/more powerful Xantias (and comparable Renault/Peugot models) had the same 15" 6J wheels with 205/60R15 tyres. Keep trying your local scrappies for wheels with tyres already on.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I do agree that part worns can be a gamble. However, when my company car had the tyres changed, one developed a bulge in the side wall within a month. They were a name (Michelin or Dunlop), and the garage replaced it after checking for damage (there wasn't any).
Of course they are a gamble, however, it doesn't take a genius to ask to check them before they are fitted on the car, and check the inside of the tyre for damage, check the walls for damage and bulges and check the tread isn't knackered or oddly worn. I picked up two Michelins for the MX5 back in summer for £15 each fitted and balanced , both had 5mm on.

A couple of years ago I put 4 new Goodyear Excellence on the Activa.They were total rubbish, and completely unbalanceable. I went back 4 times with them before the tyre place in Binfield changed them and sent all 4 back to the manufacturer. I also had a new Dunlop on Rattiva fail with a split sidewall not long after I got it.

The Berlingo always gets new tyres. My cars for running about in do not. I always check the tyres weekly, whatever they are on and have a proper, accurate pressure gauge.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I generally always stick to new premium branded tyres and have always fitted Michelin, Pirelli or Continental to my Xantias. However, depending on circumstances and the car, I have tried cheaper alternatives.

My VW has a set of Avon ZV3s which I think are near brilliant, they grip very well in wet conditions (how I approve a tyre) and are quiet and quite cheap to buy. I would recommend those.

Vredesteins can be got cheaply, I got a pair for our oldest C5 (195.65.15) for about £90 from mytyres.co.uk.

Another lower end tyre maker I like is Falkens, very reasonably priced and very good. I have recently put a set of Falken HS449 winter tyres on my car, they are superb.

Just avoid the likes of Hero, Linglong, Triangle etc. If it sounds awful in my experience they are terrible. Mind, I don't hang about and get the most out of my tyres ... Wear is a secondary issue in my opinion. I would rather have a grippy tyre which doesn't last as well over a poor tyre which lasts forever ... better wear usually means a harder compound and less grip.

Part worn tyres are fine, every used car you buy has them ... so long as they are inspected for defects before fitting. Also, its important to take note of the manufacture date as anything over 6-8 years really must be getting iffy, rubber turns plastic like over time.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

;)
Triangle
is that for real? Hero always gets a chortle but triangle made me snigger too :)

Falkens, yep..
Khumos too (spelling)

as said earlier, don't overlook Dunlop bluresponse.. very happy with them on the C5 .. at 215 for four, plus about 40 to fit and balance..
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

jgra1 wrote:;)
Triangle
is that for real? Hero always gets a chortle but triangle made me snigger too :)
Yes, Triangle is a real brand believe it or not!

I once drove a Volvo with them fitted, they didn't vibrate as expected but they didn't grip at all well. Maybe Rounds would be a better name.

Heros are the worst tyres I have ever driven on, I'd say they are virtually dangerous. We bought a C5 which had an about new set of Hero tyres, I got it into a four wheel slide in the wet at a very slow speed, roundabouts in the wet could not be done at anything over 15mph and any standing water was scary. They were ditched after a very short period as we all felt the grip was nonexistant, it wasn't just me!

I often wonder how many accidents could be prevented by choosing better tyres. Its not that you have to pay more and get premium tyres, just do research before buying as many cheaper brands are very good.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My civic has federal on the front. They are truly dreadful. I went round a near hairpin junction today behind a transit van, I say went round loosely, try straight on. They are at 3 mm at the edges and 5mm in the middle. They are destined for the tyre bin. I know of two michelins in the correct size with 6mm on them for £50 for the pair. They will be on it shortly.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

VTEC kicked in, did it? :P
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re:

Post by daviemck2006 »

addo wrote:VTEC kicked in, did it? :P
I would think so :lol:

But still nae able to go round as fast as a transit :shock:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2