Xantia S2 Tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Xantia S2 Tyres

Post by daviemck2006 »

I don't know how so many people on here swear by michelin tyres, especially energys. I have had a lot of cars and a lot of tyres over the years and driven a lot of vehicles that don't belong to me I have to say that every time I have driven on michelin their grip has been pathetic once worn to say 1/2 way. The biggest scare I had that you could call tyre related was with michelins on the front of my C5 a few years ago. Were I to buy a car that had michelins on it they would be replaced and I would be selling the part worn michelins. I really hate them. Give me Toyo or Vredestein, or if cheaper Nexen. The C5 had vredesteins then michelins, the vredesteins were far better tyres, fronts lasted 22000 miles and rears 30000. My c4 on it's 18's has toyo on the front and pirelli on the rear, all bought part worn for £30 to 35 each, and all good with more than 5mm, it's standard 17's has goodyear efficient grips, front 2 bought new for £125 each and rear 2 bought part worn for £17 for both off e-bay, delivered free and 6mm tread. I will not buy michelin, and probably wont buy new again. The civic will need fronts in a few thousand miles, they are worn at edges due to being run soft, 4mm in centre. I am keeping eyes open for used tyres now, instead of waiting until I need them Local tyre place changes them balances and valves them for £10 as long as I take old tyres away.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Woody260
My Cars:

Post by Woody260 »

Amazing the differences of opinions re the most suitable tyres. Obviously it does depend on what you're driving. In the last 10 years I can relate to the Xantia Estates that I've had, the first was all Michelin, the second is a combo of Dunlop and something else at the rear end, pretty sure it's Continental. I have to say that I've had no problems with any of them, and on the previous 1.9TD Xantia, I bought it with the Michelin's fitted, did over 46000 miles went through an MOT all good, then some bugger wrote it off.
Anyway I've tried the dealers that some of you kindly recommended, but no matching used to be found. Had a selection of new x 2 deals offered. Best two so far seem to be Hankook 866's Fitted & balanced (and yes, I did advise tyre dealers that I spoke to that I had alloy centreless wheels) £110, or Accelera with the same deal at £136. Both prices inc VAT. Unless someone decides to scrap their HDi Estate with good tyres :-) it looks like I may choose one of those offers.
1999 Xantia 2.0HDI (110) Estate 122k
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 126k
1983-4 Mercury Cougar 3.8 V6 (232cu) Coupe 69k
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Those Accelera things are crap. That's also expensive for them. They're £40 each fitted at my local place. I've put them on a couple of Xantias and a Focus in the past for MOT purposes.

Have a look here :

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s418p0/C ... _195_65R15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure, you need to factor in delivery (£11.96 for 4 tyres) and fitting, probably a tenner each, but the Uniroyal Rain Experts at £41 each or the Contis at less than £45 have to be a good buy for that price.
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Woodie - the two deals you've mentioned don't appeal to me... again, Michelin (the right size!) from Camskill - if you buy a couple, its about 75 a tyre. Fitted and done - probably can match that locally? And you've had decent experience with Mich's in the past on Xantias. And its what they were designed to run on...? And very little more than the cheapies?

Of the other's people have mentioned, I can also heartily recommend Vredestein, I have their winter tyres (Wintrac Xtreme4 )on every car I have (they all old, I'm not rich!) except the Xantia, which has Michelin Alpins in winter. Oh, and Kumho Ecstas, which are MUCH better than their name and price suggest - VW now using Kumho as an OE suppler, as are Ford I believe.

Still think Michelin are unbeatable for mileage/grip/feel package on Citroens!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd run R888's and only drive in the dry, if money was no object. :)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

have Dunlop blueresponse on my C5 as of last month..
1 pair brand new, the other 1 month of use..

recommend them for the C5 and Xanta.. a quiet tyre with predictable all wheel slide handling , compared to what was on before, which lost my back end many times.. ! :O

In the past, Falkens have seemed good..
astramanmazdaman

Post by astramanmazdaman »

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/par ... n-material" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The point I am trying to make with part worn tyres is that you don't know if they came off a crashed car, one that was continually driven up and down curbs causing internal structural damage which is only going to show up under load or at high speed when delamination occurs.The seller is always going to say that they are fine he's not going to lose a sale.Often when I fail tyres I get the reply I've just had that fitted down at .........(no markings on the tyre) so if you then go back and complain or go to trading standards the seller can just say It wasn't one of mine .. prove it if you have just paid cash ,It was done to a customer only the other day.
I have cars presented with "part worn" tyres on with the date stamp 073 on !!! this means july 1993 how many people check the age of the tyres ? ten year old tyres as part worns are not uncommon at MOT's traction ,integrity and structure long degraded by now.Your brakes can be fantastic,but on old, hard and degraded rubber on a wet road useless.The contact patch is frightningly small.
One last thing is the duties and responsibilites of the driver for his vehicle under the road traffic act, its very long and boring but if you have an accident in YOUR car and somebody gets hurt and YOUR car has a defect on it life gets very interesting and you will meet all sorts of professional people because it's YOUR car . and the bloke who sold you those cheap part worn tyres ?.....not me mate must be someone else
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

astramanmazdaman wrote:http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/par ... n-material
The point I am trying to make with part worn tyres is that you don't know if they came off a crashed car, one that was continually driven up and down curbs causing internal structural damage which is only going to show up under load or at high speed when delamination occurs.The seller is always going to say that they are fine he's not going to lose a sale.Often when I fail tyres I get the reply I've just had that fitted down at .........(no markings on the tyre) so if you then go back and complain or go to trading standards the seller can just say It wasn't one of mine .. prove it if you have just paid cash ,It was done to a customer only the other day.
I have cars presented with "part worn" tyres on with the date stamp 073 on !!! this means july 1993 how many people check the age of the tyres ? ten year old tyres as part worns are not uncommon at MOT's traction ,integrity and structure long degraded by now.Your brakes can be fantastic,but on old, hard and degraded rubber on a wet road useless.The contact patch is frightningly small.
One last thing is the duties and responsibilites of the driver for his vehicle under the road traffic act, its very long and boring but if you have an accident in YOUR car and somebody gets hurt and YOUR car has a defect on it life gets very interesting and you will meet all sorts of professional people because it's YOUR car . and the bloke who sold you those cheap part worn tyres ?.....not me mate must be someone else
Yes. Most of us know all that.

So, everyone must put new tyres on for every MOT? Unless they're brand new, they are, by definition, "part worn".

Does the place where you work do repairs and/or sell tyres?

The figures on tyresafe.org are disingenuous. It's all very well saying "6% of part worn tyres have evidence of under inflation". Fine. However, they've only tested "a random sample of 50", so really, they've hardly tested any at all. For the hard of thinking, 6% of 50 is 3.. a whole 2% (1 tyre!) had an object still in the tyre.

Their braking distance diagram at the bottom of the page is also misleading. It's comparing a *new* tyre, to one on the legal 1.6mm limit.

So, we have disingenuous figures, misleading diagrams and oh, lets have a look at tyresafe.org's list of "full members"..

http://www.tyresafe.org/other-information/full-members" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not really a surprise is it? Lots of tyre manufacturers being members of an organisation that doesn't want us to buy part worns..
Woody260
My Cars:

Post by Woody260 »

Wow lots more information and views re the best inexpensive (relatively) tyres for my old Xantia. Much obliged guys!! Discarded the idea of the Accelera's, and probably the Hankook's too. The problem I have, apart from limited funds being retired, not yet re-tyred Lol, is that I have been toying with changing the car, if possible, as being realistic, I don't need the size that often anymore, plus the high RFL rate,...but I do love a Xantia, can't beat the ride..decisions, decisions.
Anyway, back to the tyres. At the moment having just passed the MOT, and been advised by the tester that the tyres are OK and legal, and with the amount of mileage that I do per year, around 2000, they'd probably still pass the next MOT. But knowing that they're getting low on tread does make me want to change them, I'd feel safer if I did. I've looked on the Camskill site and other similar ones that do mail order. Now considering Dunlop SP Fast Response from Camskill @ £132 delivered, or Michelin Energy Saver's @ £163. Then of course they need to be fitted, so about another £20 for the pair, but I tried 3 small non chain tyre fitters, asked if they'd fit 2 tyres, all said no...sigh.
At least I'm not under any time limit, so will keep working on this, also will keep both eyes out for anyone dismantling a Xantia with 3 (Need that spare too) good tyres! If anyone hears or knows of someone breaking an HDi Estate, could do with one or two other bits too ! Cheers Gent's
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I do have two used 195 65 15's woody, if you want pics let me know

John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A few winters ago I ran a pair of Bridgestone winter tyres. Got them off my mate, who in turn had got them part worn. They were pretty good in the snow etc, but by the end of the winter they were getting pretty slippery - understeer city on roundabouts etc. It was only when I took them off, and checked the date code, I found they were made in 1986 or thereabouts :-D
Richard W
Woody260
My Cars:

Post by Woody260 »

jgra1. Thank you for your offer of the two 195 65 15 tyres. but as all the tyres on my Xantia are 205 60 15's, I really do need to keep to the correct size.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ahh right you are ;)
astramanmazdaman

Post by astramanmazdaman »

no we don't sell tyres, you don't need new tyres for an MOT but if you don't know where the part worns you just have had fitted came from it's a gamble.
After years of seeing cars with defective tyres what can i say
I give up, put your unknown part worns on and hopefully if it all goes wrong you will walk away along with your wife and kids not having collected someone else as well
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do agree that part worns can be a gamble. However, when my company car had the tyres changed, one developed a bulge in the side wall within a month. They were a name (Michelin or Dunlop), and the garage replaced it after checking for damage (there wasn't any).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!