2.2 can't start it,was ok???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: 2.2 can't start it,was ok???

Post by jgra1 »

have a brand new battery needing a home Deano,

for a 2.0 HDi but should be same for yours..
used for 20 mins to fix a problem I have, yesterday, didn't fix it, already back out of car..

John
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

cheers john, but I see you are in kent?? I am in buxton,derbyshire.......think it would be cheaper to just go and buy one....car been fine since i got it started and I am still convinced it was down to how i just jumped in it and turned they key.....very odd, will know better in the morning cos i'm at work for 6am so will be out at 05 :30 am....see if I have any trouble in the morning??
C5 X7
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

aye no bother Dean, post wont hurt much.. list price 92.. can probably get it to you for 65,,,
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Failing to start: looks almost certain to be the battery then - I suspect you will have a repeat performance come a cold morning, or short journey, or something left on..... C5s are not tolerant of low voltages!

Noisy rear: Almost certainly the rear arm bearings. Seems to be much weaker in the C5 than the Xantia for some reason. In principle not too difficult / expesnive to change, BUT there are a couple of issues....:

1. The bolts for the rear brake caliper are loctited in, and can be a total git to remove. This might not be so bad if the brake pipe is OK, as I suppose you could bypass this, and remove the arm complete with caliper attached.
2. The pin that holds the suspension ram in seizes in the arm - and removing this can make the brake bolts look like a walk in the park :twisted: Citroenxm posted some pics recently - he had to replace the arm as there was no way the pin was coming out. Ever. I'm not totally familiar with the C5 arrangement so it might be possible to remove the arm with the push rod still attached, leaving the cylinder on the car, change the bearing, and then refit it putting the boot back on with it on the car.
Richard W
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Seen that ebay ad, don't scrap the car too readily :)

I'm sure someone on here would buy it to save it
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

cheers for all the info.....and chris, i'm certainly hoping not to scrap it.....just really annoying listening to the banging noise....I love the car itself......really nice inside and love all the little toys like self folding mirrors, electric seats,sunroof(next year maybe) etc so I hope it won't be too expensive,and as you say, if it is going to be too much,someone on here who can do the work themselves would probably snap it up....really nice car......will find out in next 4 days,hoping wednesday to get it in the garage for diagnosis [-o<
Last edited by deano1970 on 15 Nov 2013, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

oh, and john, I had a look on e bay,and as far as I can tell, the battery on the 2.0 hdi isn't the same as the 2.2hdi and according to the auctions I checked,they said the battery from a 2.0 hdi wouldn't fit mine,though I am by no means an expert?? :| :| :?:
C5 X7
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ooh.. interesting Deano..
no worries :) will stick into the 'for sales,,'
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

ok, car not starting again, and battery IS the problem....took it to local garage today and he tested it,it's had it,so I paid out for a new one,so richard,you were right, it was the battery,hopefully that will be a bit of peace of mind with winter on the way.....looks like the radius arm is also the problem with the banging/cracking noise coming from the rear of the car...Got to ring garage tomorrow for price of a quiet ride.....really can't wait for it to be done cos it makes me wince every time o go over a speed bump,even at very low speeds.....The guy said his dad had driven the car like this for two years,this cannot be true as it has definitely got worse over two weeks,so,hopefully, it will be cured by the middle of next week...........fingers crossed everyone (please) [-o< [-o< [-o<
C5 X7
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

At least one is sorted Dean! Rear arm bearings were a common occurance on ealier Citroens (BX, CX etc) then they seemed largely to have solved it with the Xantia, but the C5 seems to have been a backwards step - especially as the arm can be so dam hard to get out!!
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

got same problem Dean.. noisy offside rear.. been bothering me 6 months.. I must admit I first just thought exhaust..
been some heavy trips earlier in the year and some towing.. that may not have helped.. will look into doing mine soon,, just wonder whether it will get worse or cause other problems before the weather turns warmer.... your 2 years gives me hope ;)
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well richard, it is going to be the garage doing it,I wouldn't know where to start, at least they know what they are doing,and have the correct tools.......As for "my two years" I just don't buy it.......this noise has definitely increased in the 2/3 weeks I have owned it and I hate it......Hate going over bumps,etc......I just don't beleive that it has been this way for two years then got worse since I had it.....The guy may have just decided not to spend any more money on it.....As I said in an earlier post, I have the receipt as well, that the rear nearside suspension valve went and was replaced,had a refill and the system bled at a cost just shy of £400 and he only got 535 for the car,so maybe he even knew the battery was starting to fail, I don't know....what I do know though,is that it's clearly worth spending a few hundred getting it right because It has had so much spent on it.....one thing to mention,not a big issue,but the drivers seat doesn't warm up? changed the fuse, and all other seat functions operate as they should and passenger side heats up fine,but nothing on the drivers side........why would this be if everything else works on it?? anyway, I will report back once I have a price on the rear arm repair and once it has been fixed...... [-o<
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it really has been used with arm bearings on there way out for two years or so, i would be sourcing a second hand rear arm to fit new bearings into before hand,

then if the arm itself is badly chewed up/eroded away you have a back up plan, so the car is not left high and dry till you source one
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

citronut wrote:if it really has been used with arm bearings on there way out for two years or so, i would be sourcing a second hand rear arm to fit new bearings into before hand, then if the arm itself is badly chewed up/eroded away you have a back up plan, so the car is not left high and dry till you source one
That's just what I did (circa £15) from the local scrappy. Gives a good idea of what you'll be dealing with too. Replaced one side one sat morning /afternoon, but I'm slow. Watch out for abs connection, but it's all reasonably straight forward.

Heated seats? missus loves'em I hate them. Too hot. You're a bloke you won't need them :-D :-D
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

2nd garage I took it to said they need to check the technical data of my car to see if the arms/bearings can be replaced.....I honestly don't think they know what they are talknig about as none of the two garages has mentioned just replacing the bearings,and this garage are checking to see if the arm is fixed into the axle(or something like that) because he said if it is, then it's easier to replace the whole axle?? and that wouldn't be financially viable? he said he had to scrap a peugeot partner on an 03 plate because of the same thing.said the price for the axle came in at £1300 ??? this isn't going to happen, so it's either going to be repaired by the garage after they chack this technical data, or I will run it until it's totally had it,which seems a shame...or I put it on here for sale as I guess there are quite a few people on here who know what they are doing and can fix it?? Is there anyone on here who does repairs etc? I would rather have it looked at by somebody with proper know how than the two local garages I have been to who seem to think it could be a big major job?? :( :(
C5 X7