2.2 can't start it,was ok???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

2.2 can't start it,was ok???

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
just got a 2.2 hdi exclusive on an 02 plate,just took dog out in it, got back in it and tried to start it immediately,even before mirrors unfolded,anyway, it didn't start and when I stopped turning it over,there was a message something like immibiliser security fault.... It must be because I didn't give it time,I waited a minute or two and tried again but no joy....I have walked home and left the car,going back to it after a brew (it's cold out there) and trying again...will I have more luck with the spare key? do I need to disconnect and reconnect battery?? just don't want to be out there all day messing.....my own fault,just hope it's as quick to put right as it was to mess up?/ will it "reset" after a break etc?? any info appreciated before I head back out... :(
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Re: 2.2 can't start it,was ok???

Post by citronut »

try locking and unlocking with the plip
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I would take your spare key as well, immobiliser faults are usually due to the transponder chip on the key not being read successfully.

Not that it's likely to be the key at fault, but if the transponder antenna on the ignition barrel is a bit iffy it might pick up a slightly better signal from a different key to at least get you home.

About 1 in every 40 starts my Xantia reports an immobiliser problem as well - most likely the transponder antenna is a bit dodgy but I haven't done anything about it yet.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

ok,
the car is still the same.....I tried starting it with the key,no joy, then the plip doesn't work until I lock it with the key in the door,then it will start to work,it locks/unlocks the car but I think the battery is going a bit flat...I went to local garage and they advised disconnecting the battery for a few hours and trying it again with a jump start if needs be...he said the ecu stores codes and needs to be disconnected for quite a while and then try again?? I Am certain it is to do with me jumping in it and turning the key straight away and not waiting the few seconds for the mirrors to unfold and the computer to come on?? it has been perfect before that?? really mad..... going to go disconnect the battery for a few hours and see if that works....tried both keys, and nothing.....not best pleased.... 8-[
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so what car is this,
if a C5 you need a Steve baby ( mygleran ) to point you to the thread regarding disconnecting/re connecting a C5 battery,

as it seems you can cause issues if you do not follow this
Regards, malcolm.

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

if you cant find the thread.. then..

assuming its a c5?

get a good coat/gloves
lower car fully (but you cant do this as you cant start it :( )
and open drivers window..open bonnet, shut all doors
wait a min
take terminals off bat, connect them together for a bit, (idelly you would connect them together through a bulb first before touching them directly)

wait 5/10 mins
add terms back to batt
wait a min
reach through window, turn sidelights on
wait a min
put key in, turm on ignition
wait a min
then try to start her

don't jump her

is how it goes..
john
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

thanks for the info, yes i saw that info steve put on,seems a lot of trouble if i'm honest and I know steve,anyway,upshot is, I have now disconnected the battery and will return to it in a few hours and try to get it going.... I work in the bus driving industry and one of the mechanics said he will come out later and run his professional scanner through it if it doesn't go....I am hoping it will start and he won't be needed but i'm not so sure......think the voltage too low now to start it anyway...will see in a bit......message coming up is anti theft device faulty,it's an 02 plate 2.2 hid C5 exclusive estate......been starting without a hitch and I am convinced it's gone funny cos I jumped in and turned key without giving it time to recognise the key?? maybe I should have kept the vectra ?? lol////////
C5 X7
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

deano1970 wrote: thanks for the info, yes i saw that info steve put on,seems a lot of trouble if i'm honest
its only a load of bother/trouble if you have no problems afterwards and without following the guide :o :twisted: :roll: :rofl2: :rofl2: :-D :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

agreed. but it doesn't state all that palava in the hand book to remove and re fit a battery?? main thing is I need to get it up and running? why does this procedure need to be followed? handbook says switch off alarm,disconnect negative lead,then the positive and reverse for re fitting? I did read this but anyway,I have disconnected it now so it's too late to follow that advice....I will report back later see if the news is good.......hope so cos im at work tomorrow at 6am ..... :( :( [-o<
C5 X7
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If you think the battery could be getting a bit flat, and you've got it disconnected anyway to reset the ECU's try to take the battery and put it on a charger if at all possible as C5 electronics are known to get confused and do weird things when the battery is flat or sickly...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

well, it's really weird, car has started all week fine,and did this morning too....it was only when I jumped back in it and turned the key without letting anything start up, mirrors unfolding on board computer firing up etc, just jumped in and turned key immediately, and it didn't fire..If I do get it going,I will follow the procedure on sunday and charge the battery all day sunday.......
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

i don't honestly understand how these things work...could it have shut down the engine with me starting it that quickly and now won't maybe start until the fault code is cleared? I have no idea, I am trying it again soon,but failing that, our work mechanis is coming to plug his proper scanner into it. I have a cheap hand held scanner which worked and would clear fault codes etc on my vectra but I just get linking error with the C5
C5 X7
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

also, just looking in handbook for using another vehicle to jump start...it says to use pos and neg on donor vehicle,but only pos on my car and neg should be put on an earth point..is there a special point under the bonnet for this?? last time I did this it was just pos to pos neg to neg, it does also say to turn ignition on and wait a minute before trying to start it??
C5 X7
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The reason for not using the negative terminal on the battery and using another point is simply to avoid any sparks near the battery area as hydrogen gas (could) be present. Most manufactures state this now not just PSA, ie stick negative jump lead on engine block / lifting eye etc somewhere else other than negative terminal, that's all.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
deano1970

Post by deano1970 »

ok,
didn't use the battery terminal for the negative, tried jumping it and it fired up first turn of the key (phew) volt meter went as far as it could go before firing it up?? anyway, it fired up and everything seems to have been left unscathed, all electrics work.radio etc, only thing I have noticed is the fuel readout is a bit out...saying I have about 60 more miles left in the tank than when I parked up this morning...but,if that's the only draw back I can definitely live with it....took it for a spin,stopped it, fired it up again,no probs (releived) I am still convinced it is down to how I tried to start it but i'll never know for sure I suppose..anyway,thanks as always for the advice on here.....it's still headed for the garage as it's making a cracking /banging noise going over bumps.....bloke told me about this before buying it but it's quite bad......if anyone fancies a look at the car it's here... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-CITROEN- ... true&rt=nc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thanks again...... :-D
C5 X7