aftrmarket cd player

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

aftrmarket cd player

Post by mark_sp »

Hello All
Had a frustrating time trying to fit a CD player into the xantia. My car only has a radio cassette player but I have a blaupunkt single disc CD player sitting doing nothing in my garage. The reason i have not fitted it earlier is that it's not compatible with the steering wheel controls so I was going to get a unit that is. Never got round to it so decided to fit what I have for now.
Bought a facia plate from Halfords FP 12-00 I think. When test fitting it it protruded noticibly at the bottom right corner, so much so that the outer trim would not fit. Consulted the instructions which said that on earlier cars ( mines a 1998 ? ) the bottom RH lug will need chopping off flush. Did this a refitted it and it looked a reasonably good fit but wasn't as solid as I'd like due to the lug removal.
cracked on and fitted the metal cage for the player (don't know the technical term for this part) but none of the cut-outs in the cage matched the 4 slots in the facia plate so I could not secure it. Then took the RC out of then BX to see if that cage could be used, it was a different pattern but again none of the cut-outs matched. At this point I had both cars with no music.
cracked on again and decided that friction alone would have to suffice, fitted the CD player (2 out of the 3 connectors) and tested it and it worked perfectly.
Then replaced the outer trim and it didn't fit properly. The top right was not fixed at all, the lugs just would not catch and where the trim went around the bottom right hand corner of the player there was a gap of about 2mm. two hours of adjustment of the facia plate and the outer trim could still not be made to fit. I gave up at that point and refitted the RC.
have I got a duff Facia plate ?
Mark
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Is yours a facelifted (Mk2) Xantia?
My fascia plate fitted nicely in my Mk1.
Citroen do they own adaptor that might be worth a go if you're not happy.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Its a facelift car but not the final shape.
Mark
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

Hi,
I have the self same Halfords item for my 96 Xantia.
It's fairly useless ~ the head unit doesn't want to go back through the facia, two of the fixing screws are almost impossible to get to, the lugs with the screw holes in them have snapped off and once 'fitted', the original trim piece doesn't line up. Like yours, the top right corner just can't clip in place.
Citroen dealer near me wanted approx. £50 for the real thing, so I am putting up with what I have. Which was £20 ~ exactly twice the cost of adaptors for any other car that Halfords do parts for.
Simon.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Thats really strange because mine fits dead neatly.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Mine fits OK as well, the fixing lugs are slotted and allow a small amount of up and down adjustment as well. Things are a little tight but not really difficult.
John
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

There is a typo in my original mail, it should read trim won't fix at top left (not top right) and there is a gap at middle right, that is the bottom right hand corner of the CD player.
This just typifies my Xantia owning experience, I know it's not a big deal but the car has just rubbed me up the wrong way from day 1 and I can't wait to replace it with a non cit.
Mark