Hot Hubs !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Hot Hubs !

Post by mbunting »

No, you pervs, the type that are on cars [:D]
Had a problem yesterday ( caliper retaining pin came out [:0] ), and found the wheel bolts on both sides were too warm to handle for more than a few seconds, and the hubs themselves were <b><i>very</i></b> warm.
No noises on cornering, or rough suspension at the front, but they've got me thinking now !
Any thoughts ?
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

If the pins come out maybe the brakes were binding slightly?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If the pin came out alltogether the caliper would swing up slightly from the anti rattle spring pressure, and pull from the brake cable, this might prevent the entire piston face bearing down on the pad, resulting with it binding in its bore and failing to withdraw after application of the brakes.
Have known a similar thing happen to a bloke that changed his discs and pads, he refitted the pads without reference to the anti rotation notch on the pad, the piston was not position correctly and it pressed directly down on the protruding notch, severe binding and very smelly hot brakes after a few miles were the result.
Dave
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Luckily, when changing the pads, I don't wind the pistons all the way in, only enough to clear the notch and slot.
Or am I doing this wrong ?!?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Always wind the pistons in ALL the way in. It's one of the few chances they have to move the last few mm and also presses some old LHM out of the system to a certain extent. Helps stop them from binding sometime inthe future!
//NiSk