Humming Noise Cornering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Humming Noise Cornering

Post by Guru Meditation »

I've noticed a strange noise on my ZX TD just wanted to bounce the it off you folk here.
When I turn left at above speeds of around 20-30 mph I get a very noticeable 'humming' noise emanating from the front of the car/drive train area. Once I steer left and the lock gets just past off centre the noise begins and stays pretty much constant as long as the lock is on. The noise is heard changing lanes on the motorway, sweeping left handers, left hand bends etc. Manoeuvring at low speed does not show up any usual problems like drive shafts knocking etc. If I declutch while the humming noise is happening it makes no difference. It is not being caused by wheels fouling arches etc as I gently turning left doesn't make the car lean enough to catch wheels on the arches.
I'm worried it might be the differential or something like that about to go pop. When the noise is happening there is no noticeable effect on handling or increase in vibration etc, I have checked and torqued my wheel bolts etc.
I'm thinking either transmission fault or drive shaft/cv joint problem.
It's also beginning to pi$$ me off!
Cheers
Guru Meditation
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

sounds like a wheel bearing to me!
Ron
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

I can't believe the thought it might be a bearing never even crossed my mind! Goes to show how posting on a forum like this is so useful-I can't believe I never considered wheel bearing. It might not be a wheel bearing still but it sounds a likely line of enquiry having read my own post and your reply.
Cheers Ron!
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Glad 2 help G M!
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Just before you go getting wheel bearings replaced check the low pressure return pipes from the bottom of the strut and where they join that unit in the wheel arch. I had one pop off and on a certain lock it was fouling the edge of the tyre producing a humming noise. Slightly easier to cure than a bearing!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<i>'check the low pressure return pipes from the bottom of the strut'</i>
....on a ZX??
Sorry for being a smart-a**e, couldn't resist [;)]
Regards,
Nick
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I had a similar noise on one of my CXs. It turned out to be a very badly worn tie rod end on a steering rod.
When turning, one wheel was at a greater angle than the other; the noise was the tread of the tyre scrubbing yet it never showed up as tyre wear but actually used to blow tyres out due to overheating on the face, and do you reckon it didn't half take some finding!![:0][B)]
Alan S [;)]
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Quote - ""'check the low pressure return pipes from the bottom of the strut'
....on a ZX??
"Sorry for being a smart-a**e, couldn't resist
Regards,
Nick ""
Oops - must read posts more carefully!! Reminded me so exactly of noise from my BX I totally missed the ZX bit!!
Thanks Smart-A***!!!!
Regards
Humble Phil !