Choosing a car, go Berlingo or Picasso?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Which one would you get?

Citroen Berlingo mk1
33%
Citroen Xsara Picasso
67%

Total votes: 3

orion811
My Cars:

Choosing a car, go Berlingo or Picasso?

Post by orion811 »

Dear guys and girls, i need your help!

My old Opel Corsa is going to my father, so it’s time for me to choose and buy my new (used) vehicle. Edit: its designated use will be: "little portable basic refuge for the long travel guy" :)

My budget is about 2000 euros (yeah, too small, I know, but that’s how life is…). Since I need lots of space, I’m torn between a Berlingo mk1 and a Xsara Picasso. I live in Greece, where Berlingos are highly regarded, which makes an mk2 Berlingo way out of my budget.
So… let’s start a pros and cons list.

Picasso:
+Great value for money, lower milage, smaller age available
+Safety features including ABS and frequently ESP too. Pretty good crash test performance
+Nice looking interior

-Longer than Berlingo, thus more difficult to park.
-Visibly less interior space than Berlingo
-Pillar obstructs driver’s view
-No rev. counter

Berlingo:
+Interior space is huge.
+Shorter, easier to park
+Fewer electronics, less potential for trouble

-More expensive than Picasso, higher mileage, greater age.
-Rare ABS, no ESP, horrifying crash test perforance, I mean really scary. http://www.adac.de/_ext/itr/tests/Crash ... 8_2002.pdf

I know that this is not a choice someone else can make for you, but I would really appreciate any opinion or criticism, even totally subjective. So, basically, what would YOU choose?

Thanks a lot!!

Here’s a size comparison image I made:

Last edited by orion811 on 09 Nov 2013, 07:28, edited 4 times in total.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As you have not indicated a need to carry items best suited to a van, the Xsara Picasso is a logical choice. Longer wheelbase offers more ride comfort, better stability. The Berlingo is easy to fix and I personally find its "tinny" and dangerous nature charming like a 2CV or R4 camionette - but that is not in your considerations.
orion811
My Cars:

Re: Choosing a car, go Berlingo or Picasso?

Post by orion811 »

You re right, i should have specified more about my use.

I intend to use it mostly for travelling long distances, a bit of camping, something along the lines of "little portable basic refuge for the long travel guy"

That means, i need as much space as i can get, but it will have to be part of one or another compromise :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The right hand drive pedal position isn't perfect, and the accelerator spring pressure causes knee pain after a while for me - I would be fitting cruise control on a long haul version!

The load area is too short for sleeping by about 150mm, to overcome this you need to raise the floor so you can put your feet or head over the folding passenger seat.
BX
My Cars:

Re: Choosing a car, go Berlingo or Picasso?

Post by BX »

Pretty much the same running gear on both. Picasso has better aerodynamics and therefor better fuel economy. It is possible to sleep in the back of either (yes it has been tried) by removing the back seats. the main difference is in the dash board. Basically the same engine ecu and BSI and kit available on both. Whichever one you prefer to drive. I don't really know but i guess that the picasso has a higher final drive ratio (assuming the same engine) and might be better for long journeys. Test drive both to see what suits you and your pocket.