Xantia Activa V6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Christian S
My Cars:

Xantia Activa V6

Post by Christian S »

Hello! I'm considering buying a Xantia V6 Activa modell year 2000. Is there anything special I should look for? I'm pretty common with Xantia but Activa is something new to me.
Ex. is it difficult to change spark plugs on the V6-engine?
Vid min Cittra vill jag kvittra
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Three are easy! The others take more effort.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Three are easy! The others take more effort.
No much more effort. you need to remove the top half of the inlet manifold and that's not really tremendously hard...

What you must do is replace the gasket though...

Many don't bother replacing the rear bank plugs and even more don't bother replacing the gasket if they do.

A very important job is to mop up any stray oil sitting in the (deep) plug wells. An excess in all indicate leaking cam boxes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Activa V6

Post by Mandrake »

If you're changing the spark plugs, do yourself a favour and fit the correct types, not a substitute "compatible" type recommended by whoever you buy from.

The factory types are Bosch FR8KDC. I've tried two other compatible types and both were a heat range too cold and suffered from fouling from short trips. Since fitting the correct types I've had no problems with fouling at all, the insulator tips are perfectly clean and white and the engine runs better.

And yes, make sure to replace the gasket - they're only a couple of quid each, I'd buy at least two so you have one as a spare for the future.

If you have oil leaks on the rear cam box, also check the 8mm bolts on the cam box are correctly torqued, as they can work loose and contribute to oil leaks. Make sure you use a torque wrench to the specified torque figure though (I don't know what it is off hand) as they strip easily if overtightened as they are steel bolts into alloy casting. (How do I know ? Because I stripped one and had to repair it... #-o )

The V6 ES9J4 is a lovely engine when running well and very reliable, if you get a good one I'm sure you'll like it, so its worth doing jobs like spark plugs etc properly...

I'm jealous that you get the V6 and Activa together in your country, (no RHD ones, at least in the UK) I think that's my dream Xantia! at least a well sorted one... :twisted: :-D
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

The guys at BL auto's have made at least one V6 Activa. Dread to think what such a job would cost though.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

David Hallworth is in the process of building one too :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

myglaren wrote:David Hallworth is in the process of building one too :)
I've been for a ride in David's Activa (very nice condition :) ) and briefly driven his V6 engine donor car too. The conversion is a big project though, and with other commitments I think he might be having second thoughts about the effort and time involved. :(

If he does complete it though I can't wait to see it, Citroen really missed a trick in the UK not releasing a RHD V6 Activa as the TCT really doesn't live up to the potential of the Activa, either for power or fuel economy... The irony is that converting it to a V6 manual not only increases the power and torque, it would also increase the fuel economy considerably! (Even a V6 auto has better fuel economy, let alone a V6 in manual guise!)

Add the much nicer engine note of the V6 and you have a winner. :)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You do wonder at some of the decisions that the marketing department take.
A V6 Activa could have completely wiped the competition.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Christian S wrote:Hello! I'm considering buying a Xantia V6 Activa modell year 2000. Is there anything special I should look for?
Hi,

Welcome to the FCF, sorry to see you're Xantia in such a mess after an impact from an Audi. At least it served you well in the crash and kept you safe.

Here is a link to the Activa buyers guide put together by Jim, it should have all you need to know and some :)

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 20&t=25117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10