What is the Citroen C4 engine oil volume ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

airport

What is the Citroen C4 engine oil volume ?

Post by airport »

Hello all i have a Citroen C4 with 1.6 HDi engine and i want to change my engine oil and filters by myself. Who can tell me what is the capacity of oil that entering on my Citroen C4 engine ?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: What is the Citroen C4 engine oil volume ?

Post by vborovic »

engine 1.6 HDi, 66 kw or 90 hp: 3.8 liters
engine 1.6 HDi, 80 kw or 109 hp: 4.1 liters

Both should have Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 A3/B4 as a manufacturer's oil standard (of course, any similar will do just fine)

In case it is the latest C4 in question, the amount is the same, but the recommended oil is Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3
airport

Post by airport »

Did you get your answer from here http://engineoilcapacity.com/citroen-c4 ... ts-liters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; because there is a comment who said that his engine capacity is 4.5 l for 1.6 HDi 109 hp.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I did, so far all the engines for which I need info were right on the mark, I can't say for certain if they're accurate for yours ... my logic is, if the car needs 4.1 liters, you need to purchase at least 5 liters of engine oil ... so, even if the engine uses 4.9 liters, you're good to go ... :)

EDIT: I could try an extra effort, and try to check the C4 handbook for the details, if I manage to get one online ...
airport

Post by airport »

I bought a car from a friend who lost the owners manual and do not remember what is the engine oil volume. I read on other forums that the corect engine capacity is 4.1 and if i change the oil filter to you need to add between 0.2 l and 0.4 l because if the filter is new it is must "moistens" with oil and need to ad some extra. I will try this and i will come back with an answer.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Like I've said, you need 5 liters in total one way or another ... :)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Google "The Lubricant Company".select "which oil", select "passenger vehicles". Fill in your car registration number and you will be given your car model, the recommended Mobil product and the engine oil capacity for your car.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Sorry I couldn't give you the link, but I'm on a tablet and I can't yet work it properly.
Rick.

vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Here's the link to the selecotr:

http://www.thelubricantcompany.co.uk/wh ... t-selector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mostly the results are 3.8, but for some C4 models nothing is specified
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

For exact results for your car, put your registration number in the blank field.
Rick.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I understood 3.75 litres for the 1.6 HDi - the sump is very small, and mine took about that (110BHP). Note that if it's got a particle filter, then you MUST use a low SAPs / low ash oil. The viscosity depends on the ambient temperature (although most grades cover most of the temperatures we epxerience in Europe!) - I've got 5W30 in mine
Richard W
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Absolutely agree on the low ash oil - either that or remove and map out the particle filter. That and loose injector nuts seem to be the 1.6 diesel weaknesses (with turbo oil feed not far behind).
airport

Post by airport »

I am gone use Castrol 5w-40 Magnatec Diesel. In this weekend i will try to change the oil by myself and after that i am gone come back with an answer.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

RichardW wrote:I understood 3.75 litres for the 1.6 HDi - the sump is very small, and mine took about that (110BHP).
Found this document which also shows 3.75 l. Hope this helps.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Here's info I put together on the change on this engine in the C4 Picasso. Getting the filter off the lid is a filthy job!

Oil change (1.6 HDi)

Easy enough, but due to the marginal lubrication system on these engines, it MUST be done hot and out the bottom, no sucking it out! You need a 27mm socket to get the lid off the oil filter - and probably best to have some gloves on hand to remove the filter from the lid! Be sure to use a low ash / SAPS oil.

1. Jack up, or put on ramps and remove the undertray - there are 3 13mm bolts at the front which are OTT, but there you go!
2. Drain the oil out the bottom, put a rag under the oil filter, and then unscrew the filter lid - a 27mm socket on a long extension gets it - the rag is required as otherwise it leaks oil all over the clutch slave cylinder.
3. Remove the filter from the lid - it's a tight fit, so some gloves are best.
4. Clean out the filter housing, and pop the new filter in, engaging the spigot in the the housing. Change the seal on the lid, and then screw it back on.
5. Refit the plug, and refill - it only takes about 3.5 litres, so don't overdo it!

Someone on here recommended that you check the injector securing bolts at the same time - if you start to get injector blowby it can take the turbo out pretty quickly, and getting the engine clean enough to avoid ruining the replacement is near impossible. There are 2 7mm allen bolts on each injector you need a ball ended one to get the back nuts. Don't overdo it, as the torque is not high!
Richard W