Battery question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Duke137

Battery question

Post by Duke137 »

Hi All

This may be a stupid question but I am asking anyway...

My Dad has a 1.9 TD 1999 S2 Xantia, the battery is toast and won't hold charge, standard procedure the car has been sat for a month or two and it looks as old as the Arc anyway. So, in stock I have a 1985 BMW E30 323i 6 cylinder petrol in stock (for breaking) with a strong battery that I was just going to swap over.

Basically will it suffice, blow up or damage?

A quick online check reveals the 323i may be a smaller capacity 52AH than the TD requires.

Thanks in advance
airport

Re: Battery question

Post by airport »

For your Xantia 1.9 TD you must use a battery between 60ah and 71ah.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

check battery types here

BMW E30

http://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Numax-Car-Battery-P1012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this one for the XANT

http://www.tayna.co.uk/027-Numax-Car-Battery-P979.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there chart only goes up top 1998 on the XANT as far as i can see
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

If the BMW battery physically fits the Xantia, then I'd just try it & see (terminal orientation permitting).

As well as the physical size, I tend to look at battery's Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), though as the CCA of batteries increases, then so does the Ah (in general terms).

The quite popular 027 battery is 190mm height, which my TD originally was fitted with. However, for replacements I've always fitted the 075 size (used to be 065?) which is slightly lower height at 175. This size is more useful for me, as when no longer good enough for the TD, it goes on to another smaller vehicle. The 075 comes in varying CCA ratings, from circa 450 up to about 620 CCA. I tend to fit batteries with CCA of about 550-600 CCA to my TD, and expect a good life out of them.

In comparison to the 075, the 096 is a more powerful battery, but a bit longer, and heavier. I always used to think the bigger the better, but not long ago put my back out lifting a battery out of an awkward location in the boot of a vehicle, so prefer the 075 which I can manhandle with 1 hand (just about :) )
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i was always told you should match the battery to the charging/alternator out/capabilities,
Regards, malcolm.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

citronut wrote:i was always told you should match the battery to the charging/alternator out/capabilities,
You have been listening to the wrong people. The size of the battery does not affect the alternator (I could give a long technical answer if required) .
To the OP, if it physically fits (double check that the terminals are the right way round) , then it will generally work, but may be a bit sluggish on a very cold morning, and may have. slightly shortened service life.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

I don't think it would be a problem to swap them, my old man has decided that he will buy a new one now. Costco have a brilliant offer on Bosch S5 series, the best you can buy in my opinion, will probably outlast the car!

Thanks for the input all.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Duke137 wrote:will probably outlast the car
You could be right - the Bosch S5 seires have 5 year guarantee, so expect 5+ years use :-D
Martin

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The bigger the battery the better, as long as it will physically fit (remember if its too tall it could short when you close the bonnet) then shove it in, it wont do any alternator damage or anything like that. I would always go by the cold cranking amps rating as that's the one that really matters.

As far as the bosch batteries go I have never used them myself but all I can say is that the place I use to dump all my waste batteries the bin is always full of them. usually about half the batteries in there are bosch so kind of part of the reason I don't use them.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

wheeler wrote:As far as the bosch batteries go I have never used them myself but all I can say is that the place I use to dump all my waste batteries the bin is always full of them. usually about half the batteries in there are bosch
What we don't know: Does that mean a lot of them fail (as they will), or that they're a very popular make? :-D :-D
Martin

Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Xantidote wrote:
wheeler wrote:As far as the bosch batteries go I have never used them myself but all I can say is that the place I use to dump all my waste batteries the bin is always full of them. usually about half the batteries in there are bosch
What we don't know: Does that mean a lot of them fail (as they will), or that they're a very popular make? :-D :-D
What it does mean is that statement is retarded and wouldn't hold up in court! :)

I always join the back of a long queue because if that many people are queueing for something it must be good, right?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

xantia_v6 wrote:
citronut wrote:i was always told you should match the battery to the charging/alternator out/capabilities,
You have been listening to the wrong people. The size of the battery does not affect the alternator (I could give a long technical answer if required) .
To the OP, if it physically fits (double check that the terminals are the right way round) , then it will generally work, but may be a bit sluggish on a very cold morning, and may have. slightly shortened service life.
Mr "xantia_v6

i did not suggest for one minute the wrong battery would/could damage the alternator,
what i was saying
if to larger capacity battery is fitted for a particular alternator, it will struggle/take a lot longer to fully charge the battery,
and i thought to small a battery for a p[articular alternator would not be good either
Regards, malcolm.

wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Duke137 wrote:
Xantidote wrote:
What it does mean is that statement is retarded and wouldn't hold up in court! :)
The statement was meant to be open ended for you to interpret however you like...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Check online suppliers and some local ones first before sipping to costco.

Good spec batteries for my FF are £180+
Same spec varta from a local place is £97 and this is for a varta/Bosch s5 020 type ;)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

GSF are usually quite reasonable for batteries and they give you £4 quid for you old one
Regards, malcolm.