Xantia Front Brake Disc Specs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xantia Front Brake Disc Specs

Post by rory_perrett »

As I understand it front brake discs on Xantia came in 3 sizes. 266mm dia., 283mm dia. and 288mm dia., and I always assumed 3 thicknesses 20mm, 26mm and 28mm respectively. My car has the 283mm dia. discs.

I recently had a problem with my nearside front brake making some rather horrible grinding noises. Took the wheel off to investigate and found that the outside pad (although not worn down to minimum thickness) had moved in towards the disc sufficiently to drop out of the calliper and get jammed between the calliper yoke and the disc. While the brake performance was surprisingly unaffected; the horrible noise was the pad backing plate rubbing on the disc hub.

Now I know I'm heavy on the brakes and these discs have been on for 120k odd miles but my conclusion that the disc had worn enough for the pad to do what it had rather shocked me. I got the micrometer out and found that the disc was around 18mm thick, i.e. had worn down (as I thought) 8mm which I couldn't believe.

However, further investigation shows that 283 dia. discs come in 2 thicknesses, 26mm and 22mm. Service Citroen shows that it is the 26mm ones that are fitted to MK2 2.1TD hatchbacks, however the Brakeworld electronic catalogue shows the 22mm thick ones.

I can't even remember where I bought the ones on the car at the moment and I would have ordered discs for a 2.1TD but I guess I must have been supplied with 22mm ones and never checked when they were fitted. Even so losing 4mm of disc thickness over 120k miles still seems quite a lot.

The minimum disc thickness for all disc sizes is 2mm less than the original then I guess I should be fitting new discs every 60k miles.

So lesson learned, 26mm thick discs ordered and I will be getting the micrometer on the discs every pad change from now on.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Front Brake Disc Specs

Post by Xaccers »

Holy heck those are the wrong pads.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Xac

Why do you say wrong pads?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

They are rubbing against the central part of the disc. Pads should only contact the main part of the disk (nowhere else), and CERTAINLY NOT the raised point that bolts onto the hub. I wonder what your fuel economy was like?!?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

The picture is of where the pad ended up after it had become dislodged from the calliper.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Here's a close up of Xantia front brake pad top part. In yours top part is dislocated.
The red marked part should be as in the pic and the same in the lower part of the brake pad.
It's either wrong pad (a short one) or the part is broken (?) which I never heard so far.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Yes the pad has become dislocated. The pads were coming to the end of their service life. I believe that because the discs were down to 18mm, as opposed to the minimum 24mm I think is the minimum spec for the car, the pad could move close enough to the disc to drop out of the calliper and end up where it did. The root of this was that I had been supplied with 22mm discs rather than 26mm even though they were the correct diameter.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yep, that would do it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Just shows, something I did (or didn't do) 5 1/2 years ago on the 25th May 2008 has come bite me now. As the bits came out boxes marked Xantia 2.1TD, looked right and went on the car OK it never occured to me to check that they were the right ones in all aspects i.e. to measure the thickness.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

rory_perrett wrote:Xac

Why do you say wrong pads?
The pads should fit snug inside the calliper, as Vert's photo shows, with no way to slide down towards the hub like the ones in your photos have.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool