C5 Mk1 tailgate switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

C5 Mk1 tailgate switch

Post by Peter.N. »

After thousands of trouble free miles everything is going wrong at once, the latest is that it is indicating that the tailgate is open and as a result it seems the central locking isn't working, it locks and then unlocks. I have had the lock out and there is a micro switch on it which I assume gives the open/closed signal, the switch is working perfectly and the connections are OK, is it likely to be a broken wire between the tailgate and body or don't they suffer from that?

Thanks in advance

Peter
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: C5 Mk1 tailgate switch

Post by VertVega »

Did you make sure that the tailgate solenoid (very similar as in Xantia, XM) is functioning?

Check out this document although it's for window repair there is good information available there.
Solenoid picture in page 3 --> http://users.skynet.be/sky83161/sven/openingc5.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The solenoid is working fine, tailgate opens and closes correctly but its not sending a signal to say so. There is a microswitch in the lock motor which I believe should send the signal, but although the switch is working OK it doesn't.

Peter
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Then it must be the micro switch. There are actually two micro switches and one of them for the lock and the other one for the tailgate window.

It might help if you use some contact cleaner. See if there is moisture and electric corrosion. I don't have any better suggestions at the moment.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry for delay in replying but have been in Cornwall for a couple of days. The trip home this evening revealed something about this fault, the central locking/tailgate problem disappeared while we were away after I thumped the tailgate because the wiper wouldn't work, on the way home I switched the wiper on which didn't work and the open tailgate problem returned so I strongly suspect I have a bad connection in the tailgate, probably an earth.

Will keep you posted

Peter