How does it know....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

How does it know....

Post by RichardW »

Got in the C4 Pic this morning and soon as I turned it on it beeped and the service light come on :shock: Uh-oh thinks I, what's up with it now? Was mightly relived a couple of seconds later when the message "Remote control battery flat" popped up, then the service light went out [-o<

That's a bit too clever for my liking.... off to buy a new battery now, so my heart doesn't skip every time I go to start it :lol:
Richard W
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I know how you feel; recently spent a full day fixing the washer (simply couldn't afford a service call or new machine; all good in the end) then yesterday it paused between cycles exactly when the neighbour operated his tailgate lift! A loud electrohydraulic "Whirrr!" and the machine had stopped dead. I damn near had a heart attack.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: How does it know....

Post by RichardW »

Very funny, Addo!

Was tinkering with the Xantia this afternoon - been meaning to relay the headlights for a long time. Got the NS done, but not enough cable / fittings to do the other side, and I wanted to make sure the first side works for a while (see above about heart skipping!). Easy enough - but found that the bottom mount on the NS light is broken - presumably from the car-vs-drainpipe incident a couple of years ago - so I wasn't imagining the light vibrating when driving! On the up side the short battery disconnection has brought the steering wheel radio controls back to life for the first time in a year - they went off in a previous battery disconnection incident :rofl2:

On the C4 couldn't find a battery locally, but then a bit of net research showed that the number quoted in the handbook is wrong. Got some new ones ordered up from the bay for next to nothing 8-)

Got to love French electrics :lol:
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I think the battery strength affects the unlock sigal strength, so when the locking ECU detects the signal below a certain level it will warn you so your not stuck with a flat battery...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I don't think its determined by received signal strength, if it was unlocking the car from a large distance would falsely trigger it.

I believe that the fob measures the voltage of the battery directly while under load and if its below a certain voltage it sends a slightly different code to the car which informs the car of the flat battery. (as well as commanding it to unlock) All it would require is a single bit of the the code word to be reserved for battery ok/flat status.

Some IR remotes for things like cable boxes use the same technique where the remote sends a slightly different IR code when the battery is flat so that the box knows and can display a flat battery warning.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

'tis electrickery.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

tis electrickery.
NO it is not.....its SCIENCE
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Its when it starts shouting at you random messages for no reason which is the point to worry. I don't think earlier C5s have this, I had to replace the battery in one of the C5s remotes yesterday. The car didn't tell me, fortunately I was able to tell for myself as the key no longer worked when it was cold ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Random messages - it did that before... started squawking about the handbrake after starting. Presumed the battery was a bit tired so bought a new one (a 'Starting Bull' :rofl2: ) which has fixed that. Old one went onto my Xantia though, and still provides a good cranking speed a year later.... mind you, that has a pretty easy duty cycle - generally cold start then 30 mile trip to re-charge twice a day, rather than the Pic which gets used for more short stuff with the Children.

Fitted a new remote battery last night - first one I was still getting the message, so fitted another one (got 5 from ebay for £1.10 - postage must have been nearly that!), and that stopped the message.
Richard W