Missing wheel bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Missing wheel bolts

Post by NAM »

I've just returned from having my C5 Tourer serviced and noticed a comment on the advisory that there is 1 wheel bolt missing from each wheel. I've just phoned back and waiting for them to call me but wondered if this is something I need to sort out quickly or is it not a major issue?

I'm guessing the latter as they did not mention it.
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Re: Missing wheel bolts

Post by NAM »

Citroen just phoned back to say it is just a cosmetic item and they had to mention it under their duty of care! So nothing to worry about thank goodness.
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Personally I'd be worried by a missing wheel bolt 8-[

Are Citroen talking about a missing cosmetic cover for the wheel bolt or is the bolt missing completely as implied by your first post?
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

So ?? you have 3 wheel bolts per wheel ?...if that is correct then I do think that is much more than just "cosmetic" it could be dangerous.....I would get a set of 4 very quickly.

IF the local Plod see the car like that be prepared for a ticket and a possible 3 points, a nasty one (or new one), he/she would insist you stop where you are and not let you drive it in a "dangerous condition". You would be lucky to get a producer from a traffic cop.

Where the heck did they go anyway ??
(Or is this a troll post ?)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Post by NAM »

Are Citroen talking about a missing cosmetic cover for the wheel bolt

Yes this is the part they are referring to. I did speak to them after posting this message and they explained that the missing part is simply cosmetic. I'm sure they wouldn't have let me drive away , nor would National Tyres who recently fitted my winter tyres if it was as bad as I'd first thought. Thanks for comments though and no this is not a troll post (whatever that means??)
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Why would a Citroen garage be remotely interested in a plastic wheel bolt cover? It's not part of any service.
Did they advise you that there are any paint chips on the car? Any scuffs on your alloys?
Just don't understand this one at all. :?
As you have an X7 Tourer, you will have 5 bolt wheels I presume but even so, if it was an actual bolt missing, it's more than cosmetic.

I have all five covers missing from my nearside rear, and never had any "advisory" at service.
Duty of care my a***
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Why would a Citroen garage be remotely interested in a plastic wheel bolt cover? It's not part of any service.
Did they advise you that there are any paint chips on the car? Any scuffs on your alloys?
As you have an X7 Tourer, you will have 5 bolt wheels I presume but even so, if it was an actual bolt missing, it's more than cosmetic.

I have all five covers missing from my nearside rear, and never had any "advisory" at service.
Duty of care my a***
Just trying to scare the OP into buying a set of covers no doubt, that I bet can only be bought as a set of 20 and cost about £30..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

NAM wrote:I've just returned from having my C5 Tourer serviced and noticed a comment on the advisory that there is 1 wheel bolt missing from each wheel. I've just phoned back and waiting for them to call me but wondered if this is something I need to sort out quickly or is it not a major issue?

I'm guessing the latter as they did not mention it.
To confirm this, rather than ringing them, you could go out to the car with a torch, and check that you do indeed have all 5 wheel bolts secure and correct in each wheel..
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Northern_Mike wrote:
qprdude wrote:Why would a Citroen garage be remotely interested in a plastic wheel bolt cover? It's not part of any service.

Duty of care my a***
Just trying to scare the OP into buying a set of covers no doubt, that I bet can only be bought as a set of 20 and cost about £30..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
You're very likely spot on with that observation. :wink:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.