Xantia Arm Bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Xantia Arm Bearings

Post by mbunting »

MOT Time again, numerous issues to sort out in a week.
Last year, I had to have the arm bearings ( both sides ) replaced. I did the left, and got a garrage to do the right.
About 10,000 miles ago, I had all four tyres replaced ( Energy's ), and the tracking done.
The left rear is now through to the carcus on the inside edge, and the right rear is showing excess wear ( probably a MOT fail ) accross 25% of the tread, from the inside.
I cut a few corners last time to get it through the MOT, and now it looks like the chickens are coming home to roost !
Question really is: Would the left hand side bearing condition affect the inside edge of the right hand tyre as well as the left, or do I have problems both sides ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Arrrgghhh - these f****g rear arm bearings [:(!]
There would be a rear tracking problem on top of the tilted/leaning wheel - suspect that one side would affect both side's tyres.
The arm that tilts will tend to drag this side's wheel outwards as well - meaning the rear end of car will tend to turn a bit opposite during drive. This should in theory make for for wear on the outer edge of other side's wheel.
I suspect then you unfortunately still have problems with both rear arms. The problems could be a ripped off bearing housing in the arms - meaning a scrapyard visit for replacement arms.
Find a couple of good wheels/tyres - at least you then have a chance the savings on s/h rear tyres would even up with the "new" rear arms.
My bet is that the rear arm bearings would be in re-useable condition.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, my plan for this weekend is to go to my parent's, where I can use the garage ( with heat and power ), and do both sides again.
Knowing the routine, I recon on 1.5 hours per side. I'm just fedup with the bloody thing. I could do with an estate ( Xantia, of course ), so may look around soon.