1.6 HDI dispatch/ stalling not starting intermitent

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

markt1
My Cars:

1.6 HDI dispatch/ stalling not starting intermitent

Post by markt1 »

On my way to work this morning in my 09 van 30k which had its gearbox repaired only last month for it to make a bleeping sound and a warning of anti pollution pop up on the center console and it die....Pulled over and it restarted but had that yellow engine light on so I turned it off and phoned a mechanic he said come down we will code read it, ok went to start it just turning over as if their was no fuel so I phoned RAC to be put on hold and whilst waiting I tried it and it fired up so i went to garage under my own steam.
Anyway they put it on a reader and got this
Now he cleared fault and disconnected battery etc and recconected and started only for it cut out after a minute of running and it came up with same codes,
He cleaned earths on the van checked loads of connections near the rear of engine and reset and again it stalled, when he got it running again he then ran through some live testing on the reader etc and he said it all was reading fine.
Ah well it then would not start when switched off, so he removed them units think its bsi and maybe ecu and on the unit in that tin cage some connections did look furry so he cleaned them up. Now all seems fine after another reset and i've done 50 miles since stopping and starting and well im hoping thats the end of it but knowing my luck the thing will rear its head again...Billy no luck me :)
Anyway i've looked around here and other places and some say faulty bad connections to ecu....the ecu...Egr valve and whilst the garage i've been to is an old school mate he is a mechanic not an auto electrician and he now suggests that will probably be the next move it it reapears because of so many faults...so any input would be welcome
My moneys on the EGR
Regards Mark
Dispatch owner going grey.
markt1
My Cars:

Re: 1.6 HDI dispatch/ stalling not starting intermitent

Post by markt1 »

Just been to check it and it's dead I've tried uncoupling egr and still no joy even had battery disconnected and waited a minute before reconnection it's going nowhere fast, turns over and sounds like theirs no fuel happy days not :roll:
Cheers Mark
markt1
My Cars:

Post by markt1 »

Well it's off to auto electrician on a dolly in the morning as today the van was again reset and I took it around block parked it up went back and it wouldn't start again and the codes will not reset which I guess is a good thing regards finding what's wrong
Cheers Mark
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The egr valve & rail pressure wiring run through the same wiring conduit at the back of the engine. I have had problems with the rather thin wires wearing through on the plastic conduit. May be worth stripping some of the conduit off, and tugging on the wires to see if they are worn through. Usually at the most vulnerable near hot bits or on bends
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

EGR failed open on my C5 one day after I stopped and car would not start again. Had conked out a few days earlier after initially starting which I now know was the first sign.
Like you it looked like no fuel- would crank and almost start.
If you got it connected to Diagbox it would most likely pinpoint the fault - did on mine.
You can use very thin metal to blank the egr at one of the joints to see if it will start ( with egr open its choking itself).

Brian
09 C5 exclusive
markt1
My Cars:

Post by markt1 »

Thanks for the input guys it's now at the auto electricians I will let you know the results.
markt1
My Cars:

Post by markt1 »

Well it looks like it's ECU failure they are doing tests and they say it's all pointing towards ECU, they will contact me when they finally diagnose, bloody marvellous 30k from new 4 years old and it's falling to bits, to say I'm unhappy is an understatement and the thing is I need it for work self employed so I'm not earning but I will be spending :evil:
Cheers Mark.
markt1
My Cars:

Post by markt1 »

Ok guys I always think these forums are of great help and all problems if solved should be shared so we may help others in their quest :-D
Well my van is back the auto electrician had a feeling that ECU may be at fault last tuesday and he was scratching his head and huffing and puffing £800 for an ecu+programming blah blah blah then friday I had a call saying they had pinned it down to the Rail pressure sensor £380 later im ready to go earn a living again thank the lord all this hassle for a £70 part and to honest if my mate would have had more electrical experiance in fault finding I could have done that sensor my self but it was sending the ECU in a right hissy fit as you can see from the lauch reading above and the readings got worse the more we forced it to start.
Anyway that its all seems fine a good clean tomorrow and see if I can fall back in love with the little bleeder.
Cheers Mark.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Glad you are fixed and car's back on the road :) . Thanks for posting your experiences for the rest of us.

As ever, goes to show that tracing faults is becoming more & more difficult, as cars are loaded with more & more technology :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Funny how the "ECU Has Failed" quote has become the standard 1st response. Seems to be the standard these days.

Glad your guys sorted it and you back and running.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting