Replacement of housing-seal of Bosch VE Dieselpump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Replacement of housing-seal of Bosch VE Dieselpump

Post by KennyW »

Jim,

You can run a feed from the pump wiring loom to the solenoid direct and there will be no problems.
Just follow the wiring from the solenoid back to a suitable point and use the original black cap with connection. It work with me on the old Xantia.

If you wish to put the armour back on with the immobiliser disconnected fine.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

i wouldn bother putting that armour on if anyone was gona nick ur car they would just tow it...and theres very little chance anyone would nick a xantia :)
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr
bigjim
My Cars:

Post by bigjim »

I received the second hand dieselpump today. Supposedly it had rund 127.000 km only.
Inspecting it I saw no signs of leakage. I saw that one side of the pump was rather weathered, the engine side was relatively clean.
The armoured plate did not come off so easy as the other one. Using the Dremel to make cuts to use a screwdriver to take them out, did not work this time. I had to resort to heavy grinding with a 125 mm disc. A lot of work and swearing was required. The workbench and garage was full with irondust. After some cleaning up of the workspace I started to disassemble it. First the upper cover. I noticed that everything was very brown inside. The Acelerator assembly inside was very brown. I believe it is not rust, but rather thickened residue of the diesel that had been there so long. Also the regulator (? With the Watt type mechanism), was very brown. The axle inside this, which should slide in and out was stuck. I pushed the leaver against it, and then it finally began to move.
Below in the HP department everything is brown too. I started to wonder if this piece of 200 Euros was going to extend the life of my Xantia for another 100.000 kms. I started to get afraid of the possibility that everything was just sticky and not going to work. I really need to get my car going before the weekend starts (or otherwise the wife is going to do irresponsible things). Therefor I am contemplating of using the Distribution Head with Nozles and HP Plunger and put it in my original Dieselpump. I could also only take the plunger but I am afraid of the fit in between the head and the plunger.
Question: Knowing the the pump has the exact same number is it possible and wise to take the Distribution Head and pass it over to my original one, considering the state of the secondhand pump?
Previous:
Citroen BX 1.9 D - Break - Upto 320.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.9 D - Break - Upto 360.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.1 - Upto 220.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.6 - Upto 280.000 Kms
Citroen BX 1.4 TX - Upto 240.000 Kms
Current: Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD - Break - 500.000 Kms and going
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

JIm,

You can change over but why not replace the distributor shaft between the 2 pumps.

Obviously make sure all the bits are there.

Citrojim will be able to confirm.

Jim, here are some photos from my rebuild of the Distributor head area.

When i was refitting the head to the pump I think I used a small amount of grease to hold the 2 springs in place.

Once fitted and pump ready to fit back into the car,I did manually test the pump by turning it by hand in the vice. I'm sure I used LHM fluid for the test. If the pump is working it will fire a small jet of fluid at least 1.80m (6 feet) across the garage.

I am sure other members will confirm if it is LHM is the right fluid to use.

Re your photos, could this pump have been using veggie oil?

Good luck

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
bigjim
My Cars:

Post by bigjim »

Hello Kenny,

I have moved the Distribution Head, Plunger Shaft and the big Ring from the second hand dieselpump to my original dieselpump. I have tested if I can rotate the pump via the sprocket. Via the homemade pulley extractor device I was able to do this. I am fitting it now into my car. I watched several videos on how to reassemble the distribution head. I have put my grease pot in the freezer to have some heavy grease to be sure that the little springs that go into the Distribution Head stay in place. Still it is a bit like the freezer door closing: when it is closed you are not sure that the light is really off. Since I had the upper cover off, I could peek into the distribution head area, but you can not really see if everything is all in place. Grease will have to work for you to keep the parts in place. There is the little spacer between the disc and the plunger, which had my worries. During the job I meticulously used compressed air to clean every part of any dust.
I am fitting the pump back into the car. Maybe I will do the check inside the car, with real diesel and a cloth.
Last edited by bigjim on 08 Nov 2013, 19:44, edited 2 times in total.
Previous:
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

good luck and hope it goes well :)
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
bigjim
My Cars:

Post by bigjim »

Hello forum,

Just to update my adventures with the Dieselpump. I have installed it, and with it also a new Distribution Belt, a new Waterpump (was not changed in 500000, so it was due I suppose), and a new Auxiliary Belt and a new Fuel Filter.
Once everything was connected again the engine started immediately after the diesel was sucked into the pump. So it finally ended well, of course greatly because of your support in this endeavour.
I made a mark with a sharp pen of the rotational position of the pumphousing relative to the mounting plate near the sprocket. Since I changed the HP Plunger and Distribution Head I assumed I can put it in the same position. Since it started so well I was convinced that everything was fine. I have the impression now that the engine does not have a lot of torque and I believe it is also very inefficient with the use of the diesel. I could run typically 700-800 km on the tank and now it seems to be only 600 km.
Question: What is the procedure to set the pump-timing. With Gasoline I used to rotate the Distributor a bit counter rotation until it started to ping and than back a little. Can I do the same with the Dieselpump to see it can run more lean on the Diesel?
Previous:
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

well done!
will be very helpful to others too :)
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Yes, the pump moves on the slotted holes, I think extra equipment is needed to set the timing properly, I know from experience that when refitting the same pump I replaced it exactly where it was and the car was fine, another one where I was replacing the pump did not start or run well and needed the pump moving, it is surprising how big a difference a few degrees can make, to move the pump I needed to loosen the three nuts on the front, the"Special" bolt and the steel fuel lines, and it was still difficult to see how far it had moved.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.