C15 diode problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben*17

C15 diode problem

Post by Ben*17 »

Hi to all. I was hoping someone would be able to assist me. I have recently aquired a 55 plate C15 that has problems starting. In my attempts to get to the bottom of the problem I have replaced a diode that is on a wire that seems to feed into the ECU. The trouble is that I managed to destroy the original diode and I am now not sure if I have the right diode. I know that the original was a 1N4007 something or other diode. The new one is also a 1N4007 diode but the other digits from the original are different, but as a dont have the original I am not sure exactly what those digit were. I am hoping someone could tell me if all 1N4007 diodes are the same and what I should be looking for to get the right one. With the new diode in place there is 12V going to it but nothing the other side, so I am guessing this is not as it should be. The diode is in a plastic casing and it is amongst a load of wiring under the air filter.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C15 diode problem

Post by Peter.N. »

A 1N4007 is a 1N4007, are you sure you have connected it the correct way round? If its a feed the end with the ring is the output end - plain end to supply.

Peter
Ben*17

Post by Ben*17 »

Thanks for your help Peter.I have tried another diode in there today, made sure it was connected the right way. As soon as I switched on the ignition the fuse for the ECU blew and the diode burned out. Any ideas why this might be?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well if it is a feed, whatever its feeding must be s/c to earth, is it a supply to the ECU?

Peter
Ben*17

Post by Ben*17 »

Yes I am pretty sure it goes to the ECU.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If it does, sounds like the chip is down, have you got a circuit?

Peter
Ben*17

Post by Ben*17 »

I get 12v between the supply to the diode and the output, but thats all I know.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If the diode is in series with the supply you should have about 12v on both ends, if the output end is being earthed it will blow the fuse and the diode. Are you putting the diode in the same way round as it was originally. Can you measure the resistance to earth of the output end, disconnect the diode first.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are you sure this diode is to do with the non starting issue, as the BX has a diode in a plastic casing behind the dash which is to do with the ABS,

also what engine is in your C15
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

This whole thing sounds a little fishy to me! :twisted:

Which ECU are we talking about here ? Engine ECU ?

How and where is the diode mounted exactly ? Seems very odd that it would be mounted externally in line with the wires to the ECU.

A 1N4007 is only rated at 1 amp, an engine ECU will use far more than that as the peak current from the coil packs alone approaches 10 amps, and injectors about an amp each when firing.

It's possible that its not connected in series but is connected in parallel as a back EMF diode - in which case it should be reverse connected. If you then connected it the other way around in this configuration it would instantly blow.

Without a circuit diagram we're just poking around in the dark - if you can confirm which ECU it's connected to and post your VIN number (or PM it to me privately if you don't want to post it publicly) and I will see if I can look up the exact wiring diagram for you tonight and post it into this thread so we can all see it. Then we have a chance of figuring out what this diode is for and where it should be.

PS unless I missed it we don't even know if its a diesel or petrol engine we're dealing with here, that would also be helpful information.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Ben*17

Post by Ben*17 »

Thanks all for your help. I have had another look today and I realised that this diode does not feed to the ECU. But it does blow the fuse for the ECU. I will start again the van is a deisel c15 with a dw8 engine the VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. My original problem was the glow plugs not firing up, after a lot of fiddling about it seems although something is not tell the glow plug relay to switch. In my amatuerish quest to solve the problem I discovered this diode. Unfortunately a destroyed the original diode and am not sure which way it was connected. As you have probably gathered by now I really dont know what I am doing here, any help would be gratefully recieved.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Would not an hours visit from a mobile Auto|Electrician not pay for itself ?? what is a blown ECU worth ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ben*17 wrote:I will start again the van is a deisel c15 with a dw8 engine the VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
I tried to look up your cars wiring diagrams on my copy of Sedre but although it finds the model and shows a listing of all the wiring diagrams when I try to open any of them they're all blank. :?

Sorry about that! I haven't had this problem with any other models I've looked up before...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Ben*17

Post by Ben*17 »

Thanks for trying Mandrake. I am still no further on with this problem but I have checked all connections today and will try a new diode in there tommorrow.