cooling system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stewart
My Cars:

cooling system

Post by stewart »

I HAVE A XANTIA 1.9 TD WITH A COOLANT PROBLEM WHEN I FILL THE SYSTEM AND REPLACE THE CAP ON THE EXPANSION BOTTLE WATER POURS OUT FROM SOMEWHERE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR BUT I CAN NOT SEE WHERE. THE HEATER INSIDE THE CAR WONT BLOW WARM. I THINK THE RADIATOR IS OK BECAUSE NOTHING COMES OUT UNTILL THE CAP IS ON. A FRIEND THINKS THERE IS AN AIR BLOCKAGE CAUSING EXCESS PREASURE AND POSSIBLY A PREASURE RELEASE VALVE SOMEWHERE BLOWING THE WATER OUT COULD THIS BE RIGHT ?
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Sorry i think your radiator is knackered as you say water pours from somewhere at the bottom of the radiator. It could also be the bottom hose joint or the hose itself.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Stewart -
An extensive advice on a similar problem is given here :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=4625
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

If this is only happening when you fill the system is it coming out of the overflow, that drains out on the right hand front side (it could be tracking across under the rad).Try pulling the drain pipe up and re routing it so you can see where the over flow water is going. Also if the heater is blowing cold have you tried bleading the system.
P.S. please don't shout,
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

oh I think you mean that it comes out of the overflow pipe in which follow anders advice sorry thought you meant it poured out from the radiator.
stewart
My Cars:

Post by stewart »

thanks for the advise it isnt coming out of the overflow its from somewhere at the bottom of the rad, and im not sure how to bleed the system.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Before deciding the radiator is leaking, you need to make sure the bottom hose isn't loosing water. To bleed the cooling system after filling with a 50/50% mix of antifreeze, two bleed screw need to be opened. One is on the thermostat housing, the other on the heater pipe near to where it goes through the bulkhead. On some models the second bleed screw is in a slightly different place. After the bleed screws are open, let the engine tickover until water streams from the bleed screws. Ideally, the level of the water in the header tank should be raised. This can be done by stuffing a suitably sized plastic bottle, with the bottom cut out into the neck of the header tank.
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

Don't know if this is correct but I was told that after bleeding the system you have to let the vehicle idle until the fan cuts in three times - when I have done it it always amazes me how much water the engine sucks in as the fan starts...!