Xantia vs. Lorrey...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Xantia vs. Lorrey...

Post by Xantidote »

There's some good comments in this thread. It has highlighted the need to be aware and vigilant as we drive. Luckily Chlorate was unhurt, and we all are reminded of the potential risks and hazards whenever we venture out on the roads.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Northern_Mike wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
On a car that age is anything above 3rd party insurance a waste of money ?
In theory, yes, but it's actually cheaper to insure my cars fully comp, so I do.
Yes - strange but true. It's all down to statistics, fully comp drivers have better accident records that those who only insure 3rd party. However, even if you're blameless, you'll only get the 'write-off value' of the car. This is racket as the so called 'value' is at best an average of auction prices, at worst an 'expert' (drip under pressure) opinion based on sucked teeth. Secondly, having paid out a 'value' that won't replace like-for-like, the insurer then sells the 'written-off' car for a nice tidy sum having recorded it at DVLA as a write-off (even if the damage is only cosmetic).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Old-Guy wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
On a car that age is anything above 3rd party insurance a waste of money ?
In theory, yes, but it's actually cheaper to insure my cars fully comp, so I do.
Yes - strange but true. It's all down to statistics, fully comp drivers have better accident records that those who only insure 3rd party. However, even if you're blameless, you'll only get the 'write-off value' of the car. This is racket as the so called 'value' is at best an average of auction prices, at worst an 'expert' (drip under pressure) opinion based on sucked teeth. Secondly, having paid out a 'value' that won't replace like-for-like, the insurer then sells the 'written-off' car for a nice tidy sum having recorded it at DVLA as a write-off (even if the damage is only cosmetic).
|This CAN BE challenged via the Ombudsman, documented works and good photos can make a difference...a friend pumped his value up by £800 on an Old Merc and was allowed to repair/re-reg it via DVLA and an inspection
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Old-Guy wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:
|This CAN BE challenged via the Ombudsman, documented works and good photos can make a difference...a friend pumped his value up by £800 on an Old Merc and was allowed to repair/re-reg it via DVLA and an inspection
When my Orion got nicked years ago, they offered me a paltry sum. I just kept saying no until they got really fed up and gave me a decent price.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2