strange suspension behaviour Xantia P-Reg VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

strange suspension behaviour Xantia P-Reg VSX

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello,
As jim and a few others will know I have been borrowing my Fathers P-Reg Xantia VSX for a while since my cambelt went on my Xantia S2 and broke its camshaft.
The other day I was doing the aerobics bit with the VSX and after about three complete cycles up and down the nose and the rear end acting independantly (one end at a time) on the way down would sink about half way and then make a crash toward the ground very rapidly with a clunk. as each end rose again you could hear a posative click at the rear end again
as though something was sticking,not allowing the suspension to rise or drop at a normal slow rate.
any ideas please. I recently found that the LHM was a bit low and added at least a litre to the tank which seemed to be quite a lot missing to me. ride comfort was poor when I first got ahold of it but adding the LHm has imprroved the ride a lot could it be air in the system from LHM deprevation? There are no noticeable leaks yet and the LHM has stayed at the level mark on the tank, occassionally the mechanic forgets to top up or often overfills the LHM when working on the cars, I have often had to remove a litre from overfill with my S2 but hardly ever have to top it up like this one.
Regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: strange suspension behaviour Xantia P-Reg VSX

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you managed to get that much LHM in, then (assuming no leaks) I would do a good Citrobics session, and then bleed the brakes (just in case). IIRC the system on Gracie needs about 4.5l, but I don't know if this is the same for hydractive systems.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Brakes are absolutely fine I think when the Main Rubber flexi hydraulic pipe was replaced they forgot to top her up, and my Mature Father forgot to check the levels when he came home.
I usually always check the LHM after my car goes into the garage.you know how it is some places dont do thinhgs up properly or leave their spanners in the engine bay I have some lovely tools that have been left in the engine bay by the main stealers.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The reason to bleed the brakes is that, while the suspension and steering are circulatory systems, the brakes aren't, and (certainly on Gracie) the rear brakes are fed off the rear suspension. I have a simple attitude; if I work on the hydraulics I finish off by bleeding the brakes.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The Click Can be one of the Control Levers on the height corrector Cradle. (Theres Two) One is Siezing in a certain position, and then giving way.. I Doubt its ANYTHING to do with rear brakes.

Ive come across this on a few Xantias now.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Sounds a bit like what was happening with Juliet where her rear was hard until it drop with a bang then would be soft until I went over a bump which sent it up a certain amount.
You know the arm on the end of the manual height rod? The pip on the side of it which moves the height corrector arm back and forth was too far back, so it was holding the rear up.
Now and again the pip would pop out of the square hole in the height corrector arm, which would give full control to the auto height linkages and a lovely soft ride. Then if the rear went up due to going over a bump, the pip would click back into the hole and hold the rear up slightly.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

can this happen at the front end as well or is it this linkage/pip that controls the front height as well? your explanation sounds accurate to what is happenning at both ends the front is doing the same thing comming down with a bump.
but only after a few cycles of the suspension up and down.I went down the town in her l;ast night about 16 miles there and back and the ride was lovely much better than it had been for a while. perhaps the waxoil has crept in somewhere and caused a problem. sounds like it needs to go on the ramps for an inspection.
thanks Nigel.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It needs to be up on ramps, set on normal height and then just checked to make sure the pip is right in the middle of the square hole of the arm that comes out of the actual height corrector.
The arm the pip is on is clamped to the end of the manual control rod, I believe with an 8mm (could be 7mm) bolt. So if it slackens a little it could slide up or down the manual control rod.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

ok Thanks Xac I'll print this off and present it to Pleiades and beg for some ramp time
for a look. dont want to be towing my Xantia on a trailer with suspension problems on the car.
thanks
regards
Nigel.