C5 MK1 headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

C5 MK1 headlights

Post by Northern_Mike »

Is there anyway to adjust the level of them? Can't find the manual. They seem to be too low. It's like driving an XM series 1 on unlit roads. Positively dangerous when oncoming traffic takes all my light away and I can't see the road edges..

Yes, they are clean, yes the bulbs are ok.

Or are they just crap? I don't recall the other C5 I had being so bad. Then again, I did have it right after new old V6, which had headlights worse than two tealights in a hurricane.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 MK1 headlights

Post by myglaren »

Mike, there are two adjusters on the back on the Halogen units, only one on the HID units. - looks as though the vertical one is replaced by the self-levelling motor.

Just waiting for the photo to upload, thousands on the camera, can take a while.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The two white thingies.

I put a pair of Philips X-treme vision bulbs in mine and found a definite improvement, I am led to believe that the Philips ones are better than the Osram Nightbreakers due to better positioning of the filament but have not made a direct comparison personally.
About sixteen quid on Amazon.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Thanks Steve, I'll have a fiddle later on when I get a lunch break.. hopefully I can make my journey home a little less interesting than the journey here:-)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

What type of headlight bulbs does the C5 take? In the past I have seen Aldi/Lidl do pairs of Tesla bulbs for around £4 (either high powered or blue tint) and I have used the high powered ones and liked them. Although Aldi are doing car bits this Thursday they are not doing light bulbs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Car has gone for the night but IIRC main beam/fog is H4, dipped beam H7.
The unit I have here has no bulbs in it (it is completely u/s despite being new) and the Xenons are no help at all. Different configuration with no fogs.

It's a bit naughty Mike but you can run the front fogs at the same time as the dipped beams to give a bit more light. As they are part of the main headlamp they don't look like fogs but won't make you any more popular with other drivers.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

myglaren wrote:Car has gone for the night but IIRC main beam/fog is H4, dipped beam H7.
The unit I have here has no bulbs in it (it is completely u/s despite being new) and the Xenons are no help at all. Different configuration with no fogs.

It's a bit naughty Mike but you can run the front fogs at the same time as the dipped beams to give a bit more light. As they are part of the main headlamp they don't look like fogs but won't make you any more popular with other drivers.
Handy hint there about the fogs Steve. I didn't know it had them. Used them all the way home just now. Does make a difference.

It was very, very foggy though!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mike, are you sure the bulbs are seated correctly ?, my Mk1's were very good. One day I let Halfords fit a set of bulbs, all looked OK....however at night they were terrible. I checked the next day, they were not seated correctly and this little amount made a massive difference.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:What type of headlight bulbs does the C5 take? In the past I have seen Aldi/Lidl do pairs of Tesla bulbs for around £4 (either high powered or blue tint) and I have used the high powered ones and liked them. Although Aldi are doing car bits this Thursday they are not doing light bulbs.
Don't use blue bulbs, they will rob you of about half your light!

Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Peter.N. wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:What type of headlight bulbs does the C5 take? In the past I have seen Aldi/Lidl do pairs of Tesla bulbs for around £4 (either high powered or blue tint) and I have used the high powered ones and liked them. Although Aldi are doing car bits this Thursday they are not doing light bulbs.
Don't use blue bulbs, they will rob you of about half your light!

Peter
Yep, got them and then dumped them out, loss of distance was very noticeable
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting