C4 Intermittent Blower Fan - Help?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kcdionysus

C4 Intermittent Blower Fan - Help?

Post by kcdionysus »

Hi all - I'm new to this forum but I hope someone may be able to help.

I have a Citroen C4 VTR+ 2.0 Pet 5 dr that has a problem whereby when I get in the car to start it, either the blower fan works or it doesn't. When the fan works, it works through all the speed settings and everything is fine but if I stop the car, it's a lottery as to whether the fan will start up again. If it doesn't, no riding over bumps, wiggling of wires or prayers changes anything.

One garage believed it to be the motor itself but I've had the motor out and it spins no problem when attached to a 12v battery but when back in the car....nothing. Another 'auto electrician' just ran loads of tests from his Lexia but couldn't identify any fault codes in any ECU's or controllers so suggested the resistor even though the resistor wasn't demonstrating typical issues like fan running on full speed only. So I bought a new resistor but it didn't fix it. I've checked for corroded multi plugs at the fans and the resistor and they are fine and like I've said, I've wiggled wires hoping to find something and so far nothing. 1 garage and 1 'auto electrician' can't find the problem so I wondered if anyone here has any ideas?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C4 Intermittent Blower Fan - Help?

Post by myglaren »

You don't say if your car has aircon or climate control.
The C5 climate control is controlled by an electronic module that lives in the centre console near the clutch pedal.
This can become somewhat random in operation before it eventually fails. I have a feeling that they can be repaired but stupidly chucked mine out when it failed.
Your C4 may have a similar control module if it has climate control
kcdionysus

Post by kcdionysus »

It's the one thing I forgot to mention - yes it has climate control. This climate control module you mention, do you know how to access/remove it? Is it similar to the resistor that I had to remove the glovebox to access on my RHD car? The resistor I have in my car is sometimes called the fan speed module - part no 6441S7 and it has 36 prongs like a heat sink.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This is the C5 module.

C5 location.
kcdionysus

Post by kcdionysus »

It think we might be talking about the same thing. This is the 'resistor' in the C4 for cars with climate control which is different in design and function than the resistor for air con cars.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Citroen-C4-heate ... QgPhRjk0g/$(KGrHqZHJEkFGJDgQq4pBRjk0gIBU!~~60_35.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the parts diagram, it's called a control module and looks fairly similar to your C5 one but with prongs as opposed to blades.

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/attac ... detail.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;