front discs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

front discs

Post by dowen »

C5 2006 hdi, Can anyone give me a tip on how to remove front discs?
I've tried for an hour! Yes Ive taken out the two torxs.

Had to put put all back together! The only thing I can think of is heating it! Do you think that would work?

Dave,
Tikki

Re: front discs

Post by Tikki »

Dont know on that car. But if the caliper and the screws on the disk is removed it should GO right off.

On my golf i had the same problem. It was stuck. AND HERE COMES THE SLEDGEHAMER. lol then it fell off.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Apply a large puller and tighten moderately, but not so tight that it breaks 'bites' from the disc.
Firmly tap all round the back of the disc (not too hard, or it may shatter), and it will release.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

dowen wrote:C5 2006 hdi, Can anyone give me a tip on how to remove front discs?
I've tried for an hour! Yes Ive taken out the two torxs.

Had to put put all back together! The only thing I can think of is heating it! Do you think that would work?

Dave,

Presuming this is similar to the Xantia and Berlingo, remove the torx screws, spray plenty of plus gas around the bits where it can get behind the and leave it for a while.

Then get a 7lb lumphammer (not a clawhammer or carpenters hammer) and hit the disc from behind, firmly, but not *too* hard. Turn it 1/4 turn, hit it again. Repeat. It took about 5 mins of doing this on the Berlingo to get each disc off when we did them.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

EVEN easyer.. Support car VERY WELL!!! I MEAN VERY WELL!! Remove the Torx screws. Refit the pads and put the caliper back together if dismantled. Apply the Hand brake, start the car, press the foot brake and pull the hand brake on tighter... Put car in first, and let the clutch out...

The pads will hold the disk, the engine will spin the drive shaft hence the hub, releasing the disk from the hub!!!

JOB DONE. Remove hand brake, remove pads, remove caliper, remove disk!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I presume you are taking the pad carriage off? If I remember right the disc wont come off with the pad carriage on.
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Yes Jeff, by remove caliper I meant the Carrier Brace of course!

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I was suggesting to dowen, apologies citroenxm
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Not at all Jeff. I should of made that bit clear in my quick response run down... :)

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Dave.
if they are really corroded on I'd air caution about using the brakes and gears to release them, you might also have the driveshafts disconnected like I did to replaxce the front springs?
I found one stuck on my sons C15 last year and used an SDS hammer drill to chip away around the centre and it popped off easily
I was hitting it with a 4lb lump hammer for ages and it wouldn't budge.
one thing that hasnt been mentioned yet apply copper grease to the back of the new one before you put it on the hub and next time the job will be easier (hopefully)
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks gentlemen for your help and suggestions, as I said I've put it back together , I needed the car, and wasn't getting anywhere!.
I belted it, I mean really belted it to the point that I was in danger of perhaps damaging the bearing or something.
Im not keen on using the engine, (taking out TORXS and locking breaks on) although its an auto, I think its sized too solid, might do a drive shaft or worse! How would the diff cope with that?
What if I used the two caliper holes and nuts bolts to push the discs away from the hub?
I wonder if I drill discs 12mm holes and use threaded rods across the bearing nut to pull it off?

Or map gas?
I shall wait for better weather.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I think it's unlikely that using the engine would damage the drive train - after all, attempting to drive away with the brakes on would do no harm. I have to admit to removing a disc by accident once (and shearing the securing screw) by checking for clutch slip with a wheel removed - slight lapse of logic regarding the consequences :oops:
As I suggested before, if you don't already have one, invest in a largish adjustable puller; it will do this job and serve you well in the future too.
dowen

Post by dowen »

Found this " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; do you think I will do any damage to the hub?
Dave
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

On a xantia and I don't know about a C5 the calipers are held on with allen key headed bolts you will need a half inch drive socket
with the right allen key size to get them out it is possible to strip the head of these bolts particularly if you try it with a soft key and a metal bar.
It helps if you can get someone to push on the head of the rachet before trying to turn the bolts. dont forget to hang the caliper up on the supension leg with a piece of strong wire to prevent the brake hose from being over streched and damaged by the weight of the caliper. its a chancer the caliper mounts are not meant to be bent in that direction are they and they are only cast metal like the disks which can fracture.
if you dont posses an sds drill try a lump hammer and a cold chisel around the middle edge of the disk close to the hub
in a circular motion if any of the disk chips away suirt some WD in behind the disk in those areas.. have you tried lubricating the hub at the back of the disk?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The easy way to shift the brake discs is to screw the carrier bolts through with the carrier removed. If they don't reach the disc you can use longer bolts or put a bit of metal (IIRC I used the old brake pad) as a spacer. I was almost in tears after hours of fruitless hammering when that idea occurred to me and the disc was off in minutes.

Edit- I've just realised that's pretty much the same method that's shown in the video. I don't think it put much strain on the mounting lugs because I didn't have to put much effort into it at all, just having some sustained pressure was enough.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.