My HDi Xantia - help required pg5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: My HDi Xantia - help required pg5

Post by RichardW »

If it's a pressurised pipe (either suspension or steering) then it will leak (a lot - in a big spray) all the time the engine is running. The fact that the suspension is still up suggests that perhaps it's not a suspension pipe. If it's a brake pipe then it will only leak when the brake is pressed. If it's a return pipe then it will only leak (relatively) slowly when the engine is running - unless it's the PAS return in which case it will leak copiously when the engine is running, but it won't spray out.

Note that the return from the brake valve which is above that location can leak a lot of fluid if it breaks.
Richard W
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

RichardW wrote:If it's a pressurised pipe (either suspension or steering) then it will leak (a lot - in a big spray) all the time the engine is running. The fact that the suspension is still up suggests that perhaps it's not a suspension pipe. If it's a brake pipe then it will only leak when the brake is pressed. If it's a return pipe then it will only leak (relatively) slowly when the engine is running - unless it's the PAS return in which case it will leak copiously when the engine is running, but it won't spray out.

Note that the return from the brake valve which is above that location can leak a lot of fluid if it breaks.
Thanks for the info! I need this car back ASAP it would seem so could do with getting it sorted somehow... :cry:
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

To my mind, the only way to pinpoint the leak is to see where it's spraying from, so you need to run the engine. An assistant in the driver's seat may help with brake system test.

Unfortunately you'll need LHM in the reservoir, some of which you'll lose during testing, but good excuse for renewing the LHM! Initially, run the engine without touching the steering or brakes. If no leakage, try the brakes. Basically trial & error.

Could be that it's a fracture in the main hydraulic pipework between pump and regulator. If you are rapidly losing LHM, then I'd expect it will pee out when you press the right "button" - good luck.

Pin-point the problem, rather than replacing items willy-nilly. Replacing pipework is a bit of a pain, so locate the problem before deciding on the repair.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Xantidote wrote:To my mind, the only way to pinpoint the leak is to see where it's spraying from, so you need to run the engine. An assistant in the driver's seat may help with brake system test.

Unfortunately you'll need LHM in the reservoir, some of which you'll lose during testing, but good excuse for renewing the LHM! Initially, run the engine without touching the steering or brakes. If no leakage, try the brakes. Basically trial & error.

Could be that it's a fracture in the main hydraulic pipework between pump and regulator. If you are rapidly losing LHM, then I'd expect it will pee out when you press the right "button" - good luck.

Pin-point the problem, rather than replacing items willy-nilly. Replacing pipework is a bit of a pain, so locate the problem before deciding on the repair.
Thanks Martin, appreciate that and good advice. I might be offering the car up as spares or repair because a change of circumstances with the company car it is almost not worth the hassle to sort as well as the financial side of it. It's too good to scrap but it may come to it :(
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Ok, sad as it is the decision is made that this goes for scrap. I am about to put a for sale advert in the correct section, please act quick if you want to buy it as I want it gone to free up drive space for the replacement.

I am quite sad about this, I have grown fond of this car.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Where are you Duke137? I'm not interested in buying it but maybe one of us could help you find the leak and save it? Might not be expensive, and be more sellable working, hence give you more back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Northern_Mike wrote:Where are you Duke137? I'm not interested in buying it but maybe one of us could help you find the leak and save it? Might not be expensive, and be more sellable working, hence give you more back.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Hi, I am in Derby in the East Mids.

Sadly the time/space is the issue here now. I want £350 for the car with the tax still on (£200 worth approx)

Tax: Feb 2015
MOT : 24th Feb 2015

The price is what I would get claiming back the tax and scrap.

I think that is fair?

It will drive, I wouldn't risk it though....
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

c.morewood wrote:If you look down inside the engine bay next to the belts there's a pipe which appears to come through the arch from the wheel area and then run backwards to the firewall.. is it that one? If it is .. its a return pipe ... corroded on mine.. should be relatively easy to cut and replace with a rubber pipe as its under no pressure.
This one..towards the back of the engine, just below the electrovalves?

Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Looks like that one...

I've sent the tax off now, the car has a one way ticket to the bridge :(
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

I was randomly thinking about this car today, it has been gone a year! It was saved from the bridge by a mechanic mate of mine, he gave me £150 for it and he trailored it away, fixed it and sold it on. It has been spotted by my brother the once and I believe it still lives on. I feel better knowing it never went to the scrappy as it deserved to carry on...

EDIT: Just done a online 'check if a vehicle is taxed' with DVLA and it doesn't look as good as first thought LOL, maybe it failed its MOT pretty bad.. :? :(