My HDi Xantia - help required pg5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: My HDi Xantia

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

harryP,

you could try an elastic band instead of a spring, try a model shop they sell small thick elastic bands for securing model aircraft wings and they are fuel proof and last a long time.
I used one to close my diesel throttle arm on the diesel pump under the bonnet until I could change a freyed cable.

RichardW

I coated the underside of my estate with waxoil using a big sheet of plastic on the driveway held down by bricks to drive onto, I then sprayed the underside of the car with one of these cheapy electric spray guns from machine mart about £15
I heated the 5 litre can of waxoil on a camping stove

(Do not leave this unattended I tried to burn my shed down by spilling some,
it is highly inflamable always remove the lid of the can when heating it).

to thin the waxoil down poured it into the sray gun container and added a 1/3 of white sprit to the waxoil gave it a stir and it sprays onto the car beautifully when it is hot.

(you wont need any hair wax for weeks afterwards). :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: #-o

it has kept the rust at bay for six years so far, it is even worth taking out the spare wheel rack to do the boot floor properly.
the electric spray guns dont have a rubber seal on the canister so tipping them upside down makes them leak.
make sure that the spray gun comes with a bendy nozzel which can be bent up to 45 degrees whilst the gun is kept level on the plastic sheet, falling wax oil will lubricate the sheet so the gun can be slid over it. It took about 1 hour to spray it.

After about two days the whole of the bottom of the car goes black where the rust has been killed off.
I even sprayed the engine bay but I didnt spray the strut tops I painted the waxoil on because the white spirit attacks the rubber cones if your not careful.
To save monery recently and wax oil my sons Visa van I took an old waxoil 5 litre can 1/3 filled with cheap clean engine oil
1/3 filled with a melted down cheapy candle and added 1/3 white spirit, and a small piot of rust eater, it worked as well as a £29.99 can of wax oil. the mixture stayed soft for weeks but it killed the rust very well all be it a little more slowley.
a summer job really as the cold air in the winter will block the spray gun nozzel quickly.
if you flush the gun with white sprit afterwards it can be used again another day, they are great for spraying the fencing with creasote or waterbase to actually thinking about it a 2 and a 1/2 litre can of wax oil would be enough to spray a xantia estate.

regards

Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Hope someone can help me, I have a new fault? I haven't checked anything as I have just noticed this this morning on my way to work as it worked last week...

My heated rear screen appears to have stopped working... Nothing else has stopped working as far as I know. Would it just be the fuse, can anyone tell me which one to check as a matter of easy convenience? I will nip and have a look in my lunch break then (providing I get one lol).

Would there be any other common fault that can cause this? A quick search shows ignition switch fault but it's all abit vague.

Thanks in advance
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You'll probably need to check your owners manual as the fuse assignments are not the same for different models and years - sometimes even within the same model and year!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

If the ignition switch is the cause, then IIRC, some other items may not work as well (maybe the heater fan?). Stick your car details in your signature to help us identify, so we don't go off at a tangent (or off topic :-D )
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Thanks. Heater fan does work, it is full blast or off and has been for some time. I have a spare blower motor/resistor from Citroenxm on here but I can live with off/on until it packs up one way or another.

Car details:
2000 S2 HDi90 LX
Reg: X575OJW

Is the ignition switch hard to repair/replace or whatever? I can live without the heated screen but it would be nice to get it working again.

Thanks for the replies
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's unlikely to be the ignition switch on a Mk2 - there is already a relay to take the load off. If the blower is working, then suspicion falls on the wires that go into the tailgate - this is normally an estate failing, but it's not implausible that it has happened on a hatch as well - pull back the rubber boot and see if any wires are broken.
Richard W
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

RichardW wrote:It's unlikely to be the ignition switch on a Mk2 - there is already a relay to take the load off. If the blower is working, then suspicion falls on the wires that go into the tailgate - this is normally an estate failing, but it's not implausible that it has happened on a hatch as well - pull back the rubber boot and see if any wires are broken.
You might be right actually, the rear number plate lights are out too (somehow it got through last MOT) but it is one of those jobs I never get round to sorting. Still Xmas is coming up that shoud give me a few extra hours to have a look and get frostbite.

Oh yeah the NSR passenger door has no power too, so I must use my time wisely to get in and look at that also.

Thanks
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Heated rear window Seems to have cured itself now? It worked fine last night/this morning....
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Been investigating my non working HRW on the HDI estate recently,and getting cold feet into the bargain. However I think I've found all the weak points, discounting well known mk1 ignition problem.
The thick red cable feeding it had broken inside the rubber grommet thing between the body and the tailgate, bit of a struggle but managed to strip back the trim inside the tailgate and attach with crimp connections a new section, still not working so checked other side, also broken so repeated. Still no joy.
Checking further, discovered that both 'tabs' on the window that the connectors go on to were not attached to the window any longer. I'm now wrestling with how to re attach them
Here's how it looks https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9ybw4le9rl1v ... .08.05.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are special kits available online but getting the adhesive where it needs to be is a problem in itself. I'm considering using a tinfoil and cardboard wedge arrangement to trap the end of the tab where it should be, the cardboard to insulate the back edge from the tailgate.
Can anyone say if this is likely to be dangerous, I'd like to try it but not without some feedback first, eg is the HRW protected by a fuse? Would like to get it working but rather not end up with the car in flames or cooking all the electrics.
Incidentally my NSR door electrics have also vanished recently.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

They are so reliable on the mk2 it is more likely to be the control arm switch on the steering colum that has gone

Buy some body panel glue black in colour and run a tiny tiny bead along the top of the rear window seal at the base of the rear screen.
This stops the water penetraiting through and behind the rubber glass seal you will then have a dry internal boot door.
The bead of body panel glue is virtually unoticeable to the eye if you do it properly.
a tube of windscreen leak seal could also acheieve a similar result. oprdinary silicone doesnt and turns out a bit messy.

regards.
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Hi All

My Suspension is a bit hard these days, it's been at least 2.5 years (25,000 miles) since any of the 4 main spheres were changed and I was thinking of renewing them in the spring time. Out of interest, I know I need the tool, but how hard is it for a total novice (to hydractive) to change the spheres?

Thanks in advance
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The actual changing of the spheres itself is pretty easy. The main issues you'll face are the spheres being tight (use some sort if extension on the tool) or the pipes to the hydractive spheres being rusty and stuck (spray in plusgas for a few days, use a good quality flare spanner). Other than that, pretty easy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Northern_Mike wrote:The actual changing of the spheres itself is pretty easy. The main issues you'll face are the spheres being tight (use some sort if extension on the tool) or the pipes to the hydractive spheres being rusty and stuck (spray in plusgas for a few days, use a good quality flare spanner). Other than that, pretty easy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Thanks pal, much appreciated!
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

The spheres have been on my car for 6 years next summer, and still work well. Still to decide whether to take them off now and have them re-gassed or run them until they die and have six new ones on.
falling-out-with-my-car

They can only be re-gassed if they will hold pressure they will need to be tested first, your lucky to be getting 6 good years out of them if you got seven you may well not be able to regass them at all. if you wanted to be sure that they hold pressure you may have thought about re-gassing them after four or five years to get another 3 or 4 years out of them. but leaving it to 6 years is leaving it a bit late.
seven years is about all I get out of a set of new spheres on my Xantia estate if I am lucky and that duration usually means that they can no longer be re-charged or it is more economical to have new spheres fitted.