Total or Anything

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Total or Anything

Post by xantiagreen »

2001 Xantia Hatchback 110 HDI Forte 109k

Hi, recently bought this car and had a full service, I used a genuine citroen/Peugeot purflux oil filter, Total quartz 9000 5/40, Total BV 75/80 gearbox oil and Total LHM PLus fluid on the parts I spent £78 including all items delivered. My question is if I do not use the recommended brands for the xantia can I use alternative products and keep the same intervals for service such as change engine oil yearly, gearbox oil 2-3 years and LHM every 2 years, is there a specific criteria that the products need to meet for the xantia or does it not matter as long as its the correct grade. Could you recommend any cheaper brands that would do the same as TOTAL or better, Also spheres how do you know you have a genuine citroen sphere and an aftermarket one, which is better and what brand of aftermarket ones should owners go for.

I had all six changed on mine at citroenet cost £180 these were reconditioned and re-gassed, is this the right/best way?

I'm still waiting for the new SMD led bulbs and hope to tackle the flasher problem with a flasher relay mod that's being sold on amazon (Hope it works because I have been told the only way to fix the problem is to add a ballast/resistor to each indicator bulb).

Sorry for all the questions but I just want the xantia to live a long life and look good (without the aggressive styling).

Thanks in advance
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Total or Anything

Post by Peter.N. »

I have always used the cheapest that meet the spec without problems, I use Comma semi synthetic CF at around £13.00 for 5 litres and GSF spheres. Its more important that the oil is changed regularly than paying a lot of money for it, I used to change it at 5000 miles on the XUDs and around 8000 on the Hdi's as they are a cleaner burning engine. I have been running hydropnumatic diesel Citroens for around 30 years and have had engines last for 300,000 miles without problems.

Peter
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I agree completely with Peter. However, the exception is the gearbox. The Total oil was developed specifically for the BE gearbox and using anything else (except Comma) that meets the standard is likely to result in worn synchro rings. The Total oil is generally only avialable from dealers, but earlier this year I paid a little over £11 for 2 x 1L.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah, Haven't needed any gearbox oil, at least not for a very long time, will bear that in mind. Thanks.

Peter
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Peter.N. wrote:I have always used the cheapest that meet the spec without problems, I use Comma semi synthetic CF at around £13.00 for 5 litres and GSF spheres. Its more important that the oil is changed regularly than paying a lot of money for it, I used to change it at 5000 miles on the XUDs and around 8000 on the Hdi's as they are a cleaner burning engine. I have been running hydropnumatic diesel Citroëns for around 30 years and have had engines last for 300,000 miles without problems.

Peter
So would it be ok to use comma LHM?, and whats your opinion on regassed spheres?
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

xantiagreen wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:I have always used the cheapest that meet the spec without problems, I use Comma semi synthetic CF at around £13.00 for 5 litres and GSF spheres. Its more important that the oil is changed regularly than paying a lot of money for it, I used to change it at 5000 miles on the XUDs and around 8000 on the Hdi's as they are a cleaner burning engine. I have been running hydropnumatic diesel Citroëns for around 30 years and have had engines last for 300,000 miles without problems.

Peter
So would it be ok to use comma LHM?, and whats your opinion on regassed spheres?
I've used it in the past when I was unable to get Total (a bit of an emergency) and found it OK but recently people have said it seems rather 'thin' in comparison to Total LHM.

Castrol used to do it too, couldn't say if they still do though.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I have in the past had my own spheres regassed but have had some failures, that was in the CX days when new ones were very expensive but I have had very few failures with new GSF spheres.

Peter