ZX 16v - Misfire?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

[V][V][V]Definately the head gasket!!
White smoke, loads of new mayo in the breather pipes. Over pressurized expansion tank. And yet it seems to run ok?? It got warm very quickly when sat in traffic, but returned to normal temps the moment I was on the move again.
The white smoke disappeared when the engine was hot (Did the gasket seal when the engine was hot?). It wasn't just early morning steam either, definate smell to it, and a bit to thick.
Could the gasket have gone between a coolant gallery and oil return gallery?
Pressurised coolant going into the oil return, turning to steam in the sump and being fed back into the intake through the oil breather pipes, and causing the steam/smoke at the exhaust. I don't know its a strange one, and no mistaking.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Reminds me ive not changed my plugs for 14,000 miles. I killed the headgasket in my old visa gti. It used to overheat a lot to the point where the stop light came on and I just ignored it. Turned out it was the radiator. Only the top 3rd was hot, bottom 2 thirds stone cold even after back flushing etc, totally blocked. Lead to constant overheating, took the gasket with it and I think warped the end of the inlet manifold area where it joins the head as it constantly leaked water there afterwards even with a new gasket.
Im almost ready to take my dash out to change the 4 dead bulbs in it, donno how much "fun" that will be. Also all my centre console ones are dead and I remember someone said before they are a total pig to do as you have to remove most of the centre console and getting the stereo to fit back in was bad enough!
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

The dash isn't that bad, you'll need the foreamrs of a small boy to release the speedo though, mine were cut to bits .[:D] You have to take out the stereo and reach up and round, and then squeeze the release mechanism. I had to do all my bulbs when I first got it.
The centre console is a nause, just the heater panel bulbs is it? Once you get everything out of the way, just watch the little clips that hold the front of the heater panel in place, they'll break easier than a fat kids' legs if he jumped off a wall.[:D]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

oh great heh didnt realise it was that bad! There was me cursing at my old visa which only needed 2 allen key bolts undoing and a bit of pursading with a screw driver!
yer the heater lights, think i will wait till i have a week off at the start of december as i can picture the car being in peices for a day or more