Indicators not working properly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Indicators not working properly

Post by xantiagreen »

Hi, just received led bulbs from china, popped them in rear clusters and indicators are very good indeed the led's are clear but flash amber so result is nice. Put the brake double filament equivalent led again looks bright but when brakes applied it does get brighter but no where near the intensity of the normal double filament bulb, but still a nice updated improvement will post a youtube link soon.

Not sure if this is related but after fitting bulbs when i use the hazards front which are standard bulbs flah at correct speed and rear led's also do same but when i use indicator stalk left orright rears work fine but front ones flash quickly you can see this ob the das also.

Thanks in advance.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Indicators not working properly

Post by RichardW »

Not enough load on the flasher relay - I think it's designed like this so that you can tell if a bulb is out. You will need to put some resistors in series with the LEDs to increase the load.
Richard W
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

RichardW wrote:Not enough load on the flasher relay - I think it's designed like this so that you can tell if a bulb is out. You will need to put some resistors in series with the LEDs to increase the load.
Thanks Richard can i install a relay that does the job or is that not an option and when you say add resistors do you mean add them to each led bulb. What parts do i need what type of resisto and how do i do it.

The advert for the led bulbs said plug and play should be plug and pray (that they work). There was me hoping to impress the xantia owners in my home town driving infront of them and using the indicators and brakes to show off the new look.

Thanks in advance.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think it will be a struggle to find a relay suitable. I was wrong I think - you will need to put resistors in parallel with the LEDs to up the load -otherwise the voltage across the LED will be all wrong. Looks like you need about 6ohm - plenty on e-bay, but not sure I'd pay £10 for a pair of resistors, a couple of bits of wire, and a couple of scotch locks!!
Richard W
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The cheap and easy way to put roughly the right load on the flasher unit is to connect a suitable bulb in parallel with the LED bulb - an indicator bulb would do it nicely :lol:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)