Injector seals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Injector seals

Post by Monkeyfeet »

On the 2.2: It's done about 180k now, still running very sweetly overall. However this morning this missus brought the car back on the drive with a very strange chuffing noise. The car, not 'er indoors that is. Anyway up with the bonnet and off with the engine covers for a shufty. One of the injectors was not sealing properly with a lot of "let-by". After cleaning up a ton of carbon and assorted other crud I thought that I'd better check the tightness of the two allen bolts. Well (obviously) they were pretty loose. Tightened up and all seems ok. Only thing is most of the others were also in need of a half turn or two. My questions are; Is this normal? Any damage likely to the seals? TVM in advance!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: Injector seals

Post by SaabC5 »

Speaking from experience with other injectors, chuffing noise is normally injector not seated properly due to carbon deposits or the copper washer being the incorrect thickness, its amazing what difference half a mm will do with seating issues. I'd normally tighten all injectors down, let the engine run for 15-20 mins and then check for tightness again before considering the job done. My biggest issue is with people that tighten injectors down like a gorilla and you can't crack the bloody things off when you need to.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Well I've not been under the bonnet lately, never had cause to ever touch the injectors, so the copper washers are probably the originals. Rather than leave it and risk same problem re occurring in the winter I was thinking of taking out the injector completely, if only to inspect and clean up. Mind you, it's all tightened down and seems to be sealing well enough now, so do I leave alone???
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If its sealed and not chuffing leave well alone, the 2.2 is renowned for being a pig to remove the injectors. If you have to do the job put some form of releasing agent down the wells a couple of days in advance to give yourself a chance. Also spring for new washers, they are a matter of pence to buy.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Ah, Hi SaabC5 just read your post, a little too late. I was worrying so much about this playing up later in the year I took the plunge and pulled out the injector. I must have been quite lucky, it slid out pretty easily. After a lot of cleaning of all the carbonny crud and checking the seal I put it all back again. Noted your comment re tightening down again so took for a spin and nipped up the injector bolts a touch. I'd have liked to have put in a new copper sealing washer but at least every-thing's clean and freed up now so I could easily revisit the job.
So just to say thanks for your advice :)