Citroen C5 Shaking/Vibrating at about 60 M/h, funny noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fredoj

Citroen C5 Shaking/Vibrating at about 60 M/h, funny noise

Post by fredoj »

my citroen C5, shakes badly/vibrates at about 60 miles per hour. The vibration began when we changed the inner and outer CV for driveshaft
But now something else has began to happen, it is making weird noise (sounds like metal gently rubbing on another metal) when the car starts, while on gear 1, the noise reduces as you go to gear 2,
on motorway you can hardly hear the noise when driving on a higher gear, but that is when the shaking/vibration is happening

The noise sounds as if there is something blocking the movement of the car, and it grows louder when I am slow in changing the gear

I want to begin diagnosis but if someone could pinpoint the exact culprit because wheel bearing also
has the same symptoms and others have said it could be faulty tyres
though I had earlier on swapped the tyres when the vibration had began

Citroen c5, 2.0 HD1, 2004 MK 1, Diesel, Manual,
Last edited by fredoj on 01 Oct 2013, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Citroen C5 Shaking/Vibrating at about 60 M/h, funny nois

Post by qprdude »

Probably need to say if it is diesel or petrol auto or manual, for the experts to help you.(put in your signature) :wink:
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
micky707
My Cars:

Post by micky707 »

Chances are its something you have done, it would be a coincidence if it unrelated.
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

fredoj wrote:my citroen C5, shakes badly/vibrates at about 60 miles per hour. The vibration began when we changed the inner and outer CV for driveshaft
Did you change the CV boots, or the whole drive shaft ? If the latter did you fit a new driveshaft or second hand ? Was it the short drive shaft or the long one ?

Could any of the balance weights have been knocked off the wheel during the work ? Are the wheel bolts tight ?

A vibration at 60mph is really only going to be either wheel balance, loose wheel bolts, or a faulty drive shaft joint.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

First thing to do is get it off the road pronto before some disaster happens, My first thoughts were loose wheel bolts.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've had something similar with dead inner CV joints, coupled with worn wheel bearings.
fredoj

Post by fredoj »

Mandrake wrote:
fredoj wrote:my citroen C5, shakes badly/vibrates at about 60 miles per hour. The vibration began when we changed the inner and outer CV for driveshaft
Did you change the CV boots, or the whole drive shaft ? If the latter did you fit a new driveshaft or second hand ? Was it the short drive shaft or the long one ?

Could any of the balance weights have been knocked off the wheel during the work ? Are the wheel bolts tight ?

A vibration at 60mph is really only going to be either wheel balance, loose wheel bolts, or a faulty drive shaft joint.
We did not change the whole driveshaft, just the rubber boots, for the outer and inner joints, because the rubbers were cracked.
we did this on both sides
We used universal rubber boots, at the time the mechanic complained, but since it covered the joints, we let it stay temporarily

The wheel bolts are tight, let me mention that one of the wheel had a wheel lock, which failed to unlock and had to be removed, so
one of the wheels infront does not have one wheel nut

The problem become worse when I climbed a steep rough area, hitting the lower part of the bumper in the process
Last edited by fredoj on 01 Oct 2013, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
fredoj

Post by fredoj »

Gibbo2286 wrote:First thing to do is get it off the road pronto before some disaster happens, My first thoughts were loose wheel bolts.
I had the mechanic tighten the wheel bolts, because the problem deteroriated when I tried to climb a rough steep place
hitting the lower bumper in the process.
But I must let you also know that one wheel nut is missing on the front side, it was forcefully removed when we could not locate wheel lock nut

What about the noise?
fredoj

Re:

Post by fredoj »

addo wrote:I've had something similar with dead inner CV joints, coupled with worn wheel bearings.
Thanks that is helpful.
But what do you mean "dead?"
please explain, thanks
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Worn out to the point of needing replacement, not just new grease and a spider kit. Too much slop.
fredoj

Re:

Post by fredoj »

addo wrote:Worn out to the point of needing replacement, not just new grease and a spider kit. Too much slop.
Found what it was, thanks for all your input.
fredoj

Re:

Post by fredoj »

addo wrote:Worn out to the point of needing replacement, not just new grease and a spider kit. Too much slop.
I replaced the whole drive shaft too, took away the shaking