Wheezing sound on Citroen c5 (2004), what could it be

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fredoj

Wheezing sound on Citroen c5 (2004), what could it be

Post by fredoj »

I have a strange sound coming from my Citroen c5 (2.0HD, Diesel) wheezing sound/ (it sounds like vuuuuuuu ), and when I am add gas without changing the gear, it increases

It happened when I tried to climb a raise part. So what I did was put pressure on the clutch and gas
and then it happened. I feel it mostly from the right hand side/ the driver's side, we thought it was gear box oil, so drained all the gear box oil and replaced
even though that increased the performance a little bit, this sound (as if something is prevent the car from acceleration), still comes.

The sound is louder when I am on gear 1, then it reduces as I go to gear 2,3,4 &5. When I am accelerating on motorway, I can hardly hear it
but if I lower the gear, I can hear it. The lower the gear, the more the sound

Mechanics are telling me so many things; one said it is probably dry driveshaft, another one says it is wheel bearing, another says it's probably a loose part on the way,
another says it is a bad tyre
The strange thing is that I have began hearing that sound when I switch the ignition. It is coming from the driver's side, when I press my ear
next on driver's side, next to the repeaters light, that is where it is coming from.

I recorded the sound and uploaded it here
http://chirb.it/xzGHGp

Anyone ever encountered that problem?
Last edited by fredoj on 02 Oct 2013, 05:36, edited 3 times in total.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Wheezing sound on Citroen c5 (2004), what could it be

Post by Stewart(oily) »

It could be boost leaking somewhere, check all of the turbo pipes, my failing crank pulley makes a hissing sound too.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I never had a diesel car but a friend of mine had the similar sound which was caused by the vulcanized crankshaft pulley.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
fredoj

Post by fredoj »

Stewart(oily) wrote:It could be boost leaking somewhere, check all of the turbo pipes, my failing crank pulley makes a hissing sound too.
Thanks Stewart, I did not mention this but there are some oil on the intercooler
and I lose power
I didn't think they were interconnected
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Oil in the intercooler is quite normal.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
fredoj

Post by fredoj »

Stewart(oily) wrote:Oil in the intercooler is quite normal.
Stewart, suppose it is the crank pulley, how dangerous is this to keep driving?
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If the pulley comes apart I can imagine a lot of mayhem, mine is currently producing a hissing sound and "rust dust" on its front face, next time I pass the stealers I am buying a new bolt and replacing the pulley (I bought a good used one on this forum) once I have my Nephews Mitsubishi monster truck out of my workspace I will get it done and report back.