1998 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD threw cambelt damaged engine.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: 1998 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD threw cambelt damaged engine.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hello Barry,

Arrrgghh sat in a xsara picasso today and the dam thing is to small for my spider like legs
The steering wheel doesnt seem to raise up quite enough.
So its back to the drawing board and maybe one of those nice 2.1TD diesel xantias would be the right choice.
regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

It is possible to replace camshafts in these heads...

When this happened in my ZX I happened to have a tired old head sitting around waiting for the scrapper and I swapped the camshaft and one of the bearing caps from that.

The trouble is making sure that the bearing caps aren't too tight - one thing that can be good is to use a plastigauge to determine the clearances between the cap and shaft.

The donor camshaft worked fine right up until the car was eventually scrapped due to rust and it seemed to be going as strong as ever.

I figured it was worth a go since changing the heads is a bit of a faff.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I've had only one XUD cambelt snap, in a ZX TD at around 95mph. It made so much mess and smoke, that the Highway Patrol called the fire brigade. The engine wasn't deemed repairable. Something under the bonnet had split and there was oil everywhere, and the turbo appeared to have inhaled bits of something and was wrecked.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

well Ive decided to move on from repairing the engine besides I just can't be sure that it would be as simple as replacing the cam.
it is unknown if there is any damage to the cap mountings below the shaft they could be cracked and tghe only way to really find out is take the head off for inspection.
I'm gonna cut and run I think she has given me nearly 9 years good service time for something a bit more mdern as long as it is still a Citroen I dont mind really. The onlyu trouble is that used Citroens seem to hold their money these days. esspecially diesels.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

So are you gonna offer the car for spares for some to possibly repair?

Where in the country are you?
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

what fits my Fathers VSX will be comming off it for his spares box.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Wheels / tyres // urrmmm, not a lot else between S1 and S2.. oh brakes possibly .. :)

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

rear brake caliper bolts are like rocking horse poo to find, and they have just been undone to fit new rear brakes and disks. then there is all the ancillaries, fuel pump injectors, radiator, hydraulic pump alternator, vacumn pump and the two month old 6 spheres won't fit his car. but there is plenty that will. the strut tops are in good nick, the heater fan motor is good air-con compressor is good it had a new matrix fitted in Jan 13 but I'm not digging in that far for it, drivers seat is in good condition as are all the others. boot liner is good, there is quite a lot that will fit a Mk1 xantia.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Fair enough Sir if you are stripping it right down.. just thought a bit of a shame to loose another one.

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Looks like my engine will be going on the 'bay then
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Seems a bit daft to break an otherwise good car when Xac has an engine going begging which I can attest to is a sweet one. Xac and I were the last to see it running and removed it.

At least give someone the chance of it if you don't want to Nigel.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I agree with Jim, a shame to break the car for the sake of £50 and a days work fitting the engine. Hell, if I had facilities I'd even be tempted by it and the engine myself.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Northern_Mike wrote:I agree with Jim, a shame to break the car for the sake of £50 and a days work fitting the engine. Hell, if I had facilities I'd even be tempted by it and the engine myself.
CitroJim wrote:

Seems a bit daft to break an otherwise good car when Xac has an engine going begging which I can attest to is a sweet one. Xac and I were the last to see it running and removed it.

At least give someone the chance of it if you don't want to Nigel.
I tried to convince different to ...

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

first the bad,
the heater has never blown warm properly since the matrix was replaced could be a cable problem. it blows hot though by god it blows hot. there is a rain leak in the boot because they are designed to pass water through the boot door cavity it leakes when it feels like it the only way I could stop it was to squirt a fine bead of body panel cglue along the bottom of the rear windscreen seal. these faults are common with estates and return time and time again.
The boot lock doesnt lock half of the time and the other half it locks so you cannot open it.
The drivers door has been welded at the top hing and the welder use fire extinguisher co2 so did a very messy hob.
the drivers door seal is Knackered. and she'll be due for a clutch soon.
The tyres are also ready to be replaced x 4. there is only one key that actually works in the ignition and the alarm remote is broken so you can only use the key to lock and unlock the car.
There is also a dent in the offside rear quarter beneath the side window as I squashed the wheeliebins against my house side wall with the car. she is by no means in great condition. until two days ago I thought she was in good mechanical condition.
I have not really decided what I am going to do for another daily car it has been three days and so far I' am still greiving a bit about the xantia I actually fear moving on to something more modern .
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Buy a C5. We'll see a lot more of you on the forum, then.