Lexia problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Lexia problems

Post by harryp »

Ah, Lexia! I now have one of my own.
Having struggled and read hundreds of posts on problems with Lexia, I do not know if my problem is related to software or the hardware supplied with the leads etc. I am using a s/h laptop bought for sole use of the lexia, 1Meg RAM with XP professional SP3 loaded. Eventually managed to get Diagbox loaded with help from both seller and this forum :) . It is V7.02, and is not connected to the internet. Ign is fully on, all dash lights lit. Should I only have in the Aux position?

On starting asks for the VIN. Select Lexia, then select citroen, Xantia, Xantia2, asks for VIN to be input,VIN entered, asks to select application again. Select Lexia, ”Data access problem, you must close the applications in order to change vehicle”
The svhost.exe then uses 100% cpu. Trying to exit, get the error msg, “the communication card is incorrectly initialised. Tool must be restarted” Validate to switch off tool. Can only exit by using Windows Task Manager to end task, which it does with great reluctance. All cables are tight into sockets etc. Have removed and re-connected usb as recommender in forum posts but to no avail. Seems stuck in a loop, lexia, vin, Data access problem. Svhost.exe still using 100% cpu, but strangely enough can start Diagbox easily, so reckon the task manager is caught up somewhere too.

Any ideas as to whether it might be hardware or software related? I am beginning to fray a little at the edges, well quite a lot actually :cry: . My next port of call may be to get the vendor to load it again remotely as offered, but it seemed to load ok once I realised it needs to be done via the Demon.

I have to come to greatly value and respect the expertise available on this forum and wonder it anyone else has, or knows of, a solution? Thanks for any advice coming this way!
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Lexia problems

Post by citronut »

i probably cant help you very much but

firstly i find with mine the DIS-LEXIA interface plugged into the laptop before booting the laptop up,

then at the first stage of entering the DIS-LEXIA make sure it is connected to the car with ignition switched on,
then it should find the VIN No. its self,
mine usually asks for the rp No.

dont know if this is of any help
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Hi Citronut. Thanks for response. I have read that it should find the VIN by itself.

Am taking up the offer of the vendor to check the software load as I have tried (I think) every variation as per the various forums notes, etc. That at least will give me a platform with which to start - hopefully!!
Will post back after the s/w ic checked and I try again! Thanks
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

harryp wrote:Ah, Lexia! I now have one of my own.
Having struggled and read hundreds of posts on problems with Lexia, I do not know if my problem is related to software or the hardware supplied with the leads etc. I am using a s/h laptop bought for sole use of the lexia, 1Meg RAM with XP professional SP3 loaded. Eventually managed to get Diagbox loaded with help from both seller and this forum :) . It is V7.02, and is not connected to the internet. Ign is fully on, all dash lights lit. Should I only have in the Aux position?

On starting asks for the VIN. Select Lexia, then select citroen, Xantia, Xantia2, asks for VIN to be input,VIN entered, asks to select application again. Select Lexia, ”Data access problem, you must close the applications in order to change vehicle”
Doesn't sound like the software is installed properly to me, as the sequence you describe above is not correct for Diagbox 7.02. It almost sounds like the standalone (older) version of Lexia has also been installed, which would probably clash with the version bundled with Diagbox.

The correct sequence for Diagbox 7.02 for a Xantia is:

1) Connect the interface to the USB port (the green light should come on)
2) Launch Diagbox, say no to "do you want to check for updates"
3) Choose Citroen, Xantia, Xantia 2, which will take you to a screen with two options, Lexia and Scantool.
4) Unplug the USB cable from the laptop, wait 5 seconds, plug it back in, wait 5 seconds.
5) Click Lexia and enter the VIN number of the car. This will now launch the Lexia app.
6) Before going to Diagnose turn the ignition key on or start the engine.

I've never seen the Lexia app itself ask for the VIN number, you should only get asked for the VIN number once before Lexia is launched. So either you have the old standalone version of Lexia installed (which did ask for the VIN number itself, as it ran by itself without any Diagbox app) or possibly Lexia is unable to communicate with the car so is asking to verify the VIN number again. (However I have not seen this happen even when I've had the cable from the interface to the car unplugged)
The svhost.exe then uses 100% cpu. Trying to exit, get the error msg, “the communication card is incorrectly initialised. Tool must be restarted” Validate to switch off tool. Can only exit by using Windows Task Manager to end task, which it does with great reluctance. All cables are tight into sockets etc. Have removed and re-connected usb as recommender in forum posts but to no avail. Seems stuck in a loop, lexia, vin, Data access problem. Svhost.exe still using 100% cpu, but strangely enough can start Diagbox easily, so reckon the task manager is caught up somewhere too.
The Lexia app will tend to hang and be difficult to end task if anything goes wrong with communication with the interface. The communication card error is worrying, first check in windows device manager that you have an ACTIA device without any errors displayed when the interface is connected and that you have a solid green light on the interface.

Any ideas as to whether it might be hardware or software related? I am beginning to fray a little at the edges, well quite a lot actually :cry: . My next port of call may be to get the vendor to load it again remotely as offered, but it seemed to load ok once I realised it needs to be done via the Demon.

I have to come to greatly value and respect the expertise available on this forum and wonder it anyone else has, or knows of, a solution? Thanks for any advice coming this way!
Really hard to know without seeing the hardware first hand, with another working system to compare with and swap to find out whether its hardware or software, as the Lexia software and hardware from different vendors does vary somewhat.

One other thing - have you tried it on another car or tried another Lexia on the same car ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Have just spent a couple of hours (I think) with vendor remotely accessing my pc. Seems that the latest firmware version does not work with all versions of XP. So after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I got him to do the simple downgrade, which took quite a while. Fair do's, he spent a long time sorting it out and it appears to be working. Just about to connect to car with mains attached. Damn battery on this hp nc6000 seems only to last about 2 hours. will have to look into that later.... may be a fact of life, still was cheap!! Vendor certainly knows his stuff. UKpolboy - the cheaper version mentioned in many posts. can recommend. I would never have been able to sort this on my own! Will have a quick look now!
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hope you have it sorted.

As a safety thing, I always would have the car do a good run first to make sure the battery is 100% and I would always have the laptop on charge from the mains....Good Luck
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Flattened car battery too last night. Will be removed and on charge in a mo. One thing, Having unplugged before selecting Lexia, it then comes round again. Should I remove and reinsert twice, or only on the first or second time. I'm a little confused. Also, should the ign be in the standby position, or all dashboard lights on? It wouldn't read anything, but probably due to the low (then not known) state of the battery?
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

re-reading Mandrakes fullsome response this morning... Does this mean that 1-5 can be carried out (must??) with the ign off? Once connected, it will be easier with engine running as it will mean a fully charged battery. Can the engine be running when using all diagnostics? Do I need to run Lexia or just go straight into diagnostics? Sadly do not know of any other Xants near me (Telford) so am not able to do the check/swap/compare routines. When remotely connected, I'm sure I remember the Vendor checking everything as he downgraded the firmware to get it running correctly. Stickyfingers idea of a good run would be wonderful, but it is still up on blocks with all brakes off. It's much quieter with the new crank pulley!! Must get this done as another xant arrives tomorrow. Requires a pipe so unless I get this going soon, may have a rebellious SWMBO on hand - not good! .... and the grass gets longer and longer!!
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

harryp wrote:Flattened car battery too last night. Will be removed and on charge in a mo. One thing, Having unplugged before selecting Lexia, it then comes round again. Should I remove and reinsert twice, or only on the first or second time. I'm a little confused.
Me too. You only unplug once - just before you launch Lexia. It should not be launching a second time.
Also, should the ign be in the standby position, or all dashboard lights on? It wouldn't read anything, but probably due to the low (then not known) state of the battery?
The ignition key should be fully on, not in accessory. Most ECU's except the body computer (CPH) are powered down when the key is not on.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

harryp wrote:re-reading Mandrakes fullsome response this morning... Does this mean that 1-5 can be carried out (must??) with the ign off? Once connected, it will be easier with engine running as it will mean a fully charged battery.
The key can be on or off during 1-5, as long as its turned on by the time you use the diagnose menu in Lexia.
Can the engine be running when using all diagnostics?
All ECU's can have their fault codes read while the engine is running, the only things that won't work with the engine running are engine ECU actuator tests, and apparently some engine ECU's can't have their fault codes cleared while the engine is running.
Do I need to run Lexia or just go straight into diagnostics?
Don't know what you mean by this. :?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
harryp
(Donor 2022)
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Mandrake, right, thanks for responses.. The initial panel comes up with Lexia on the top and Diagnose (?) lower down. Should I be selecting Lexia to start and then Diagnose once in?
Regards, Harry

2013 C4 Picasso Excl E