Was offered £1K for my car today

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evoke

Was offered £1K for my car today

Post by evoke »

My 2008 Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exclusive was valued at £1K for a part-exchange valuation today. To say I was shocked is an understatement! Having bought it for £4K earlier this year and then paid out well over £4K again in repairs and replacements for worn out parts, I had to walk away from a new car deal. I think it'd be better to run it into the ground.
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Was offered £1K for my car today

Post by Old-Guy »

You don't say how many miles and what condition it's in. If you wanted to p/x it against a new model that's in demand (or being offered at huge discount), a low valuation may simply reflect the salesman's lack of interest in taking something that will simply go to auction as is.

It always pays to offer a vehicle for p/x in freshly-valetted state. A Sunday spent thoroughly cleaning and polishing a car inside and out will always get you a better deal than offering it dirty and uncared for inside and out.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
evoke

Post by evoke »

Old-Guy wrote:You don't say how many miles and what condition it's in. If you wanted to p/x it against a new model that's in demand (or being offered at huge discount), a low valuation may simply reflect the salesman's lack of interest in taking something that will simply go to auction as is.

It always pays to offer a vehicle for p/x in freshly-valetted state. A Sunday spent thoroughly cleaning and polishing a car inside and out will always get you a better deal than offering it dirty and uncared for inside and out.
Mileage is very high - 139K miles. Full main dealer service history. Interior is immaculate. Exterior has some chips and scrapes. The chips have been touched up. I detail all my cars and have done the best I can for the C5 - the outside has been clayed and waxed using expensive car waxes. The interior has been meticulously detailed by me using high-end products and looks like a new car - not a single mark on the interior. It looks striking but obviously there is some paintwork imperfections around the car.

I spent virtually the whole of last week detailing the car during the evenings - a total of around 12 hours spent on it. Alloys cleaned and sealed too.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

I'd say it's the high mileage for its age - and the fact that it's a C5, a 2.2 and an Exclusive: it's a big Citroen with the big 2.2 engine and "strange, complicated" hydro-pneumatic suspension.

This dealer or salesman is trying to send you the clear message "We are not interested in doing a deal on your terms." Other factors might be finance - if you want to pay (a good part of) the balance, the dealership and/or salesman would lose a fat chunk of commission.
Last edited by Old-Guy on 28 Sep 2013, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
evoke

Post by evoke »

^ I agree. I don't think he was interested in taking the car as a part-exchange.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

A couple of years ago Webuyanycar offered me £50 for my Xantia TD Estate :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

Not that I want but can't, seems like a good offer from someone on FCF could get themselves cracking deal?
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If that was an estate I'd match that offer and then a bit more as well as long as the service history and drive was good as I want get my mum and dad into something newer in the near future :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I reckon it would make more than that on ebay! That's one of the reasons I run 10 year + old cars.

Peter
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I'll give you £1k for it. 8-)
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Wot Old-Guy said!
Salesman is most definitely saying he's not interested by hugely undervaluing it. His loss!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

tradeInValue != marketValue
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re:

Post by Peter.N. »

Eddie Nuff wrote:I'll give you £1k for it. 8-)
I will give you £1001.
evoke

Post by evoke »

^ Ha ha.

So, i've had a change of heart after seeing the trade-in prices and i'm not going to trade it in. I've spent far too much money on it this year so i'll be running it into the ground. A friend of mine did offer £2,800 for it but I said no. If I can get another year or two out of it i'll be happy.

There is an irony in this story. I've test-driven some budget cars and they aren't a patch on my C5 in terms of comfort and ride quality.