2.1TD EPIC esos valves

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froglet

2.1TD EPIC esos valves

Post by froglet »

OK, I know.
I had just read again the information about removing these carefully.
On the second removal I was so careful I saw the stop valve sliding piece drop down into the depths of hell.
Have spent the last 2 days finding it again but ... should there be a small compression spring? I know the diagrams show a spring but is this indicative of pressure or is it really indicative of going back and stripping some more? Is there a physical spring?
Any suggestions of how to remove/replace the alternator without a 17mm socket (broke it) would be also most welcome.
I am an hour's bike ride from any dealer/garage so any help/confirmation would be most welcome, apart from saying what a lemon I am!
Cheers, hopefully.
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Re: 2.1TD EPIC esos valves

Post by kenhall1202 »

Yes there is a spring - it closes the valve when power is turned off to the solenoid.

Ken
Ken Hall
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear :(

It's a very little spring...

If push comes to shove then I can let you have a spare as I have a scrap pump here I'm using as a strip/rebuild demo...

I take it you mean the stop ESOS - the one with the red viton tip?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froglet

Post by froglet »

Many thanks again for the info/offer.
I did use a ball point pen spring but it was trial and error just how much to leave sticking out. Turns out that you only need one twist sticking out to exert cut-off pressure.

Have tried to attach two images; one of the b******d 'O'rings on the top servos and one of the similarly b******d wiring of the solenoids - the things I was watching when the rod slid down. However the page says the files are too big! If anyone wants to see them send me an email address and I'll send them on that way.
Recovered the rod but the original spring is still down there. Replacement is in the post but again, many thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased you've sorted it :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froglet

Post by froglet »

Thanks to all my readers. Still sorted BUT ...
Before I go into another strip-down ( still saving on the 3000€ estimate for a replacement), does ANYONE on here know the CORRECT sizes for the O ring replacements for the Esos valves?? NOT just what is supplied in the kits.
Sorry to SHOUT but I have been on multiple sources worldwide - even the Delphi on-line site - but no-one appears to know the accurate sizes and Delphi will not supply them to mere mortals.
I do know they need to be Nitrile (gardeners stay away) and I do know I should have measured them last time but:
a) I didn't expect to need them so soon (45°C across the centre of Spain - [don't ask], and is outside air temperature an issue?)
b) I didn't have a ruler sufficiently accurate
c) I really, really, honestly thought I had cracked it ( and they are still sort of working, so ... maybe ).

I don't really want to buy another couple of sets of Esos Stop Kits just to discard the plungers so I can cannabalise the rest so any info would be appreciated. I am looking for the accurate sizes - internal and external etc so I can pester an O ring supplier.
Pheww!!!
BTW - found one of the previous springs from the Stop Plunger kit(s) - smiling at me from the nasty little area next to the AirCon bracket.
Must have had a pleasant journey. Glad one of us is still smiling!
Many thanks and pleasant dreams etc
kenhall1202
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Measured EPIC solenoid O ring dimensions (mm) are as follows:

9007-497AL 22.0 OD, 19.0 ID, 1.5 wall. (4 nos required)

9007-497BX 10.25 OD, 6.65 ID, 1.8 wall. (3 nos required)

In addition elderly EPIC solenoids can also leak from the centre metal tubes which are sealed against the coils with yet two more! O rings. Delphi does not list them and they would normally suggest complete solenoid replacement. However an enterprising Planete Citroen member has devised an in situ method (copy available) for replacing these O rings (normally just the two top solenoids need attention). The O rings sizes required are as follows:

8mm OD x 2mm wall. (2 nos required)
15mm OD x 2mm wall. (2 nos required)

Suppliers I have previously used or got quotes from are as follows:

1 Polymax.co.uk

2. TTautos.co.uk

3. Bilateral Trade-Liaisons Ltd (BTL), Contact MD Colin M Williams, Email BTL@btinternet.com

Hope this helps!
Ken Hall
froglet

Post by froglet »

That's fantastic Ken.
Many thanks for the info , just what I needed - I'm sure it will be useful to many others apart from me!
Off to trawl for suppliers to France now.
kenhall1202
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Might be worth contacting this French ebay seller of diesel pump spares - didier49brigitte - he has listed EPIC pump seal kit sets in the past, but nothing at present.
Ken Hall
froglet

Post by froglet »

Hi again,
Just done another change and still quids-in!
However, the screws are becoming increasingly graunched - to the point I have had to saw slots on some (in situ) to get a screw-driver onto them. Not the easiest of tasks for the bottom 2 pairs!
Before my next change, does anyone know the length of the securing screws for the esos body to pump body. I am guessing 4mm diameter thread but ... accurate length so I can order replacements.
Good source for the rings is 'simplybearings.co.uk' who are happy to post abroad.
Also, any torque settings for said screws would be more than welcome.
i_cook_74
New User
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9D Estate
Peugeot 406 2.1TD Estate

Post by i_cook_74 »

They are TX 25 bolts that are 50mm long (measured from under the head) excluding the washer. Thread diameter and pitch are M5 x 0.8