ZX TD Gearbox Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

ZX TD Gearbox Question

Post by rossnunn »

Friend has a ZX Volcane TD with a duff gearbox, we've been munching over weather its possable to whip the old box out and replace it with a Pug GTI-6 box. In theroy it should just drop in, but its french so we're not sure!!
Anyone?
Ross [:o)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Wot Pug model/year ?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

sorry Doh!
Pug 306 GTI-6, late 96, 97
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm pretty sure the 306 uses BE3 derivative box types - which should then bolt directly on to the ZX TD engine.
Not sure about the linkage setup - but can't imagine that would be a serious problem - as such bits are available as standard in all possible lenghts & sizes.
As for gear ratios I'm blank - that's up to you to research on.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Thanks mate, now to find a box at the right money......
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think this should be a very interesting conversion, giving both sprint gearing and a long legged 5th. I do wonder if it will work out like that though. On a BX 16 valve top is 20 mph per 1000 revs which I think is the same as 4th on a TD 5 speed box. If the spacing is good you will get rid of the gap between 2nd and 3rd on the TD box.
Jeremy
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Will the GTI-6 box be strong enough? I know that all Diesel gearboxes are alot stronger than petrol engines with similar troque figures, maybe because the diesel produces the torque from much lower down and right throughout the range.
It is a very interesting idea though, very short 1,2,3,4,5 gears and a nice tall 6th for cruising, giving you even better acceleration and fuel economy! The GTI-6 gerbox is geared for 137 in top as well (if you could get there). The GTI-6 box is very rare though, and so I think it would be expensive. Have you had any quotes for a price yet?
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

no, not yet - we haven't been brave enough!
Ross [:o)]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The 6 speed box may be geared for 137mph, but this is on a petrol engine that revs to 7000rpm! The TD will do 4500rpm under load if you are lucky.
The mph/1000rpm on the 6 speed in 6th is 21mph
The same figure for the TD 5 speed in 5th is 25mph, so the TD gearbox is much more long legged.
With the 6 speed box you would have a theoretical top speed of 90 mph.
I wonder though, if you used the final drive ratio out of the TD in the 6 speeder if you could lengthen the ratios?
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

True true, I didnt think of that.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

To change the final diive ratio I think you have to change the next gear in the gearbox. I doubt if this is a job for the faint hearted.
Jeremy