Anyone know how this tool works!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cc101

Anyone know how this tool works!?

Post by cc101 »

Seen this genuine Citroen Xantia ride height setting tool, anyone know how it works!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1108119363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Anyone know how this tool works!?

Post by Mandrake »

Two of the tools in the picture are levers that hook onto a specific part of the height corrector linkage which you can then use to easily make manual adjustments to the ride height after the clamp has been loosened on the roll bar. One is for the front height corrector and one for the rear as the linkages have different layouts.

The other piece is a guide that slides into the elongated slot in which the manual override "peg" sits - the manual override linkage is adjusted by loosening the clamp on the rod that travels the length of the car, making sure the ride height is at normal height, then sliding this tool into the slot which locates the peg in the middle of the slot, the clamp is then tightened and the guide tool removed.

None of these tools are required to do the job if you know what you're doing. The manual override adjustment can be done visually - adjusted until the peg is visually half way along the slot that it sits in with an equal gap on either side.

The ride height can be done by a variety of methods - my preferred method if the ride height is only a small amount out is to loosen the roll bar clamp but not quite enough so that it becomes loose and lets go, then use a small hammer and rod to tap the clamp around just slightly (a few degrees) then tighten the clamp again.

Doing it this way you can make a very small adjustment very accurately and repeatably, while if you loosen the clamp completely you'll "lose your place" and end up getting there only by a lot of trial and error...(a tiny rotation of the clamp is a large change in height)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I was thinking of this as its not far from me and as the rear hieght corrector is stiff on the Xantia i pick up next week i thought it might be of use when it doesnt sell if i could nab it for £10

Having seen what youve said about loosening the bolt and not the clamp Mandrake i think i'll use your method when the car is up on drive on ramps to adjust it :)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Similar to Simon's method rather than using a hammer I simply undo the clamp then lift up or pull the down car by the required amount then re-tighten the clamp, job done.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

KP wrote:
Having seen what youve said about loosening the bolt and not the clamp Mandrake i think i'll use your method when the car is up on drive on ramps to adjust it :)
dont go adjusting anything till the height corrector linkage turrets are floppy loose,

the only way to acheave this is remove the cradle from the car then work and lube work and lube work and lube work and lube,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

Amazing :lol:

Those tools on fleabay just went for £35 plus £6 postage.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DickieG wrote:Similar to Simon's method rather than using a hammer I simply undo the clamp then lift up or pull the down car by the required amount then re-tighten the clamp, job done.
I do the same for a large initial adjustment but for a small adjustment of 10mm or less I find the tap with the hammer approach works better to achieve a fine adjustment.

This is partly because of the hysteresis in the mechanism - I don't just measure the ride height is correct and call it job done, I measure where it comes to rest in response to both an upwards and a downwards correction and take the average, which cancels out the effects of hysteresis on the measurement. If you loosen the clamp completely and push the car to the desired height then tighten the clamp you don't know where you're sitting within that hysteresis which is caused by the slack in the linkage - each time you set the height this way you'll get a slightly different result.

It depends on how accurate you're trying to be of course. I can notice a difference in ride and handling with an error of +/- 10mm so I try to get it within 5mm of the correct height.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've got the pukka instructions to go with these tools somewhere if anyone wants them..

There's a similar set for levelling an Activa...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:I've got the pukka instructions to go with these tools somewhere if anyone wants them..

There's a similar set for levelling an Activa...
Doesn't the Activa method involve voodoo and a fire dance?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hmmm... No goats or virgins? :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Hmmm... No goats or virgins? :shock:
Nope but it has to be done under the light of the full moon when there's a R in the month...

It helps if Venus and Mars are in alignment too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Re:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote:
addo wrote:Hmmm... No goats or virgins? :shock:
Nope but it has to be done under the light of the full moon when there's a R in the month...

It helps if Venus and Mars are in alignment too...
what and no black holes involved then Jim :yikes: , although i'd be very suprised if there was non of these employed :teabag: :teabag: :teabag:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years